Member Avatar for napninjanx

By setting up his server meaning buying It at a pricey price I would pay, instead of paying companies every month when I don't want to afford paying monthly fees since monthly fees are not my favorites.

And just connecting a 2nd wire from the router so the server will have Internet, Instead of paying companies and what knot for Internet to get your server running. Again I don't like monthly fees.

So If I bought my own server or built my own server and then connected a 2nd RJ-45 Ethernet Wire to my server.

Will my website work?

How would I set up my own domain with out paying for one?
Like for example I wanted to set up a domain www.ilovetosleep24.com

Plus I gave It some thought I might need Comcast Internet since I do gaming, surf the net and etc and the server to would need a faster connection also.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

So If I bought my own server or built my own server and then connected a 2nd RJ-45 Ethernet Wire to my server. Will my website work?

Yes, you could set up a web server on your own network. Of course there is some configuration you will need to do on your router, specifically port forwarding rules. Internet visitors will access your internal website via your public IP address. Check your address: MySourceIP

However, keep in mind that if you have a typical consumer type internet connection (DSL, cable, etc..), their SLA (service level agreement) is most likely best effort. In other words, if you are hosting an important site and your connection goes down, your ISP is not going to guarantee when your connection will be back up.

Also, your connection is most likely asynchronous, meaning that your download/upload links are not the same. You may have a 20 mb download pipe, but your upload may be limited to 384kb. Well, your upload pipe is your visitors download pipe when accessing your site.

If you just want to set up a website for fun, or for testing, etc... hosting at home is OK. if you are serious about establishing a site for ecommerce, etc... you will most likely will want to host with a provider in the future.

How would I set up my own domain with out paying for one? Like for example I wanted to set up a domain www.ilovetosleep24.com

Second level domains (domain.tld) are not free. However, they arent that expensive either. You can get a .com, .net, .org for a few dollars per year. Some hosting providers will include a free registration of a name as long as you host with them.

Plus I gave It some thought I might need Comcast Internet since I do gaming, surf the net and etc and the server to would need a faster connection also.

Do some research about the connection and upload/download links.

hope this was helpful....

Ok I know my Upload Speed and Download Speed. With Comcast I get 30 Mbps Download Speed 30 Mbps and Upload Speed 45 Mbps. Sometimes the speed changes and boosts In the middle of the night last time the speed was 140 Mbps and Download Speed 98 Mbps. Wow :D Did you know how many GB I downloaded In 3 hours 850 GB at once and it was awesome so fast :D

Also yeah I'll go with Go Daddy with the domain names.

Also I don't mind If Comcast went out for hours or so.

But are there other companies aka ISP that run 24/7? the connection won't go down?

@JorgeM

Most companies will incorporate a 24/7 design so they can offer 99.9-99.999% uptime. The way this is achieved is by implementing HA (high availability) and fault tolerant components into their design, multiple servers, multiple switches, load balancers, redundant network connections, clustering, replication, etc...

Providing 100% uptime becomes infinitely more costly and more difficult to achieve.

@JorgeM I see how much costly monthly or year?

Depends. Shared hosting is cheapest, but your web is one of thousands on the same server. It's a good start and inexpensive. PHP on Linux will be cheaper than hosting on Windows IIS due to licensing. Plans generally start at 4-5 dollars per month. As you move towards dedicated hosting, the price increases. It can be as much as a few hundred per month. There are a lot of options between the two extremes.

There is even free PHP hosting plans out there that you can use to start with.

@JorgeM thanks for the Info :D

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.