Hello Community,
I'm about to start making a website for someone. So what I'd like to know is does the website creator credit themself, like have my name in the footer of the page.

What is the right way to go about doing this?

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

So what I'd like to know is does the website creator credit themself, like have my name in the footer of the page. What is the right way to go about doing this?

That depends on the arrangement and the way you license your product. For example, if you are working for someone like an employee, they would actually own the product you develop. If you are working on your own and your are licensing your product to them, you still own the rights. You are just allowing them to use it. Or are you developing the app and turning the rights of the product over to customer?

Maybe you are interested in sharing your work, but to put in restrictions? Take a look at this site... it may help you..

http://creativecommons.org/

Hello Community,
I'm about to start making a website for someone. So what I'd like to know is does the website creator credit themself, like have my name in the footer of the page.

What is the right way to go about doing this?

Simple question is: are you being paid (be it salary or agreed-upon fee per-project) for this web site? If you are then you're likely giving whoever is paying you the right to use your code without any branding. Mileage will vary here, as it's possible to collect payment but still retain all rights and reservations, but that's less common.

Thanks (both of you), I've never made a website for someone else. So all that I'm doing is having them pay for all the essentials, so all I'm doing is coding their website to give it fuctionality along with a few other things. Then when I'm done I'm handing them the "keys" to their website so it's all up to them to manage it as would make it now theirs. So that is the part the confused me the most.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.