Hi,

I have a website and quite a few members have suggested that adding a chat room would be a great idea.

I'm searching for something I might be able to integrate well into my site.

Has anyone tried RumbleTalk? It is an live chat for Wordpress or Joomla and you can also add it to your website or blog. Wondering if you have some experiences using it?
Thanks =)

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Hi,

I used CometChat for a while, but even with their paid "CometService" it wasn't offloading a lot of the work - and was being a resource hog. I switched to RumbleTalk a few months ago and have been very happy. It's a bit more ($14/mo with yearly plan), but works beautifully - can be styled with CSS from their interface, manages (basically) all the work on their server, functions responsively on the page, etc. I like it quite a bit.

Hope it will work out for you as well

I don't think you'd wanna all this trouble, but the only time I worked with chats I ended up creating an XMPP server with Asterisk(Open Source).

It already has those 'Sent, Recieved, Read' status for the messages.
And if you wish you can enable SIP accounts for audio and video calls.

If you got an XMPP server, there's plenty of JavaScript clients ready for use.

The bad side of this implementation, it's the hard work. The server setup is not hard, but it can be trick to enable some codecs for video and audio. And you'd probabbly have to integrate your site account manager with asterisk, I mean, when a new user is created on your site, you'll have to create an XMMP account for him at Asterisk.

Good luck =)

Thanks to both of you!
Well I started researching on my own then. I made a lot of research in
finding a chatroom for my website. I used envolve for a
while till they closed up, pitty. I tried IRC but I truly did not like
the look and feel and the “mess” of text in there.
I had several points which are important to me.
– First I needed a chat that can be seen in mobile (all versions) so I
narrowed down the search for html5 chat room that look good on both
mobile and pc.
2 – I needed a custom design, I needed my background to be black or transparent. This was very hard to find (my site is dark).
3 – I do not like to install the chat in my server as this is high cpu and resource consumer. So I need a chat service.
4 – Lastly, I needed the ability to add youtube videos and upload files.
I have checked several chats and only 2 met my needs, RumbleTalk and Cbox.
I choose RumbleTalk finally as it can be integrated into my page and not only as toolbar.
Something I did using it

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.