Hello

I would like to hide the address bar for Firefox and internt Explorer.
What is the best way to accomplish this?

Will I still be able to pass values to other pages using the hidden address bar?

Note: I am using PHP, Mysql. These pages will run on windows and linux servers.

Thanks in advance

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Why would you want to do that? That is a really dodgy thing to do.... because then people don't know what site they are on, so phishing scams etc become easier.

I would not have thought it would be best practise to do this. From just searching around it doesn't look like a very easy thing to do (and rightly so!). Oh and it is also a security violation in IE so there is no way you will find out how to hack that.

I have also never ever seen a page do it without popping up a window and still then i guess that would have been in the days of IE 5 and 6.

Thanks for responding.

I will be hiding the address bar for security reason. Also in the web base application the user will not be using the address bar for searching. Access to this application is limited to specific users.

So should I assume from your response you don't know how to do this?

You should assume from my response that it is impossible to do. IE does not let the web developer choose whether or not to display the address bar - the class it as a security violation.

The user never uses the address bar to search, but to navigate away from your web page... which they should have free will to do!

Thanks for responding.

I will be hiding the address bar for security reason. Also in the web base application the user will not be using the address bar for searching. Access to this application is limited to specific users.

So should I assume from your response you don't know how to do this?

Hello.
We have an online library system on a specific computer, which can only be used for searching for books. It does not have the address bar showing anywhere.
Is this the sort of thing you are talking about, or do you want it to work on all computers which access the website?

It is possible to hide the address bar in web browser on a specific computer and it is definitely fairly simple to create your own web browser in visual basic that has no address bar.

But the problem is, you have to look at it from the web browser developers perspective: phishing scams are becoming more and more of a problem so if the enable a site to take away the address bar from your browser remotely, the user loses any hope of knowing if a site is real or a clone.

I don't know how you could possibly be doing it for your own security?

And plus if there was an answer to this problem I don't think the forum administration would look kindly on me writing it on their forum. As they can't be seen to be giving out information that could potentially cause a security risk for somebody.

Sorry we can't be of more help.

Hello.
We have an online library system on a specific computer, which can only be used for searching for books. It does not have the address bar showing anywhere.
Is this the sort of thing you are talking about, or do you want it to work on all computers which access the website?

Hi Thanks for responding.

That is what I am talking about.

This application is for a specific purpose. You can searcing the data base for information you have stored.

User name a pass word control access.

Lets take another approach.
For example we will use the addess to this poft.

I don't mind the user seeing Part A of the browser address
But I don't want them seeing the folder the pages are in and the other details passed by the URL.

A user can change the info in the URL and I also don't want that.

Part A
http://www.daniweb.com
Part B
/forums/showthread.php?p=775555&posted=1#post775555

Thanks

Ok then. That is much easier and much less contraversial to do.

Have you thought about putting all your pages in an iframe? That would mean that when you click a link and the page appears to change it is only changing the page in the iframe which does not display it's own address bar or effect the main browser address bar. The problem still is though that even if you do that the links to these pages can still be seen in the source of your page. But I seem to remember you can block your source code - google it.

If you need anymore help on how to use an iframe, just reply.

You can't block the source code. If the user can't get to it, the browser can't render the page.

The Internet is NOT for keeping secrets.

There are browser functions that can look at the entire contents of a folder. You can't keep that secret either, unless you remove public access. But if you remove public access, you remove the ability to put the page on the Internet.

You have to take one of two stands:

1. "It's mine and you can't have it!" In that case, don't put it on the internet.

2. "Here, you can have it."

I am sick of people who want to publish something, but are afraid of someone else stealing it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.