Hi Guys.

Please help! I give up! I don't see the answer for my problem anywhere!

It's quite difficult to explain so please bear with me:

I'm designing a website which contain 5 main (parent) pages (index.thml, catalogue.thml, etc.). Each page have NAVIGATOR, embed <iframe> in the "center" and the FOOTER. In this way I can quickly update the website by updateing only the content of <iframe> document, without copying NAVIGATOR and FOOTER to every single page (especialy when the website will have 100+ pages).

Everything is working fine. When the user is clicking on something within the <iframe>, it's opening in "_self" target on the same - parent page. Nice.

BUT....

When the user will click on any link within the <iframe> using "OPEN IN NEW TAB" or "OPEN IN NEW WINDOW" the browser will open new tab/window ONLY WITH THE <iframe> CONTENT, without the parent site. It looks stupid, as there's no navigator, footer, just a plain document from the <iframe>.

Is there any way to allow the user to open a new tab/window from <iframe> to display the parent site along with the desired link from <iframe>?

What do I want is:

<parent_site.html>
inside the site we have
<iframe>
which contain
*frame.html*
</iframe>
</parent_site.html>

frame.html contain link to the site, let's say, *contact_us.html*

On "normal" click *contact_us.html* would replace *frame.html* within the parent_site.html and that's ok

but

when the user want to open a new window/tab by clicking on *contact_us.html*, he will see just a plain *contact_us.html* file, without the parent site.

I want a new window/tab which will contain parent_site.html with *contact_us.html* in <iframe>.

Is there any hope to do it?

I don't want to end up with editing +100 pages just to add new button to the navigator.

I'm sure that someone can come out with some idea from your owm experience.

Thanks for all sugestions,

Regards,

dziobu

P.S. I think I can do it by using PHP but I'm more like graphic designer than website designer and PHP is rather a black magic for me.

I'd like to know if this can be done by php too. So far i've been doing it by copying and pasting the layout into a new file and just updating the iframe url. it gets the job done but it gets tedious after a while. please update if you come across anything

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.