iv just got a new computer at work and have transferred a web site over to the new computer. when i open it in dreamweaver the css styles are shown but when i go into live view or load it in a browser the css disappears. the layout is still the same but all of the divs are not in the right positions.
iv tried to re attach the style sheet but it doesnt work. does anyone have any ideas how to remedy this?

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

In Dreamwever specifically you get 2 options in regards to attaching your style sheet... I find, however, that only one of them works reliably. The two options are

<link href="test.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />

And...

<style type="text/css">
<!--
@import url("test.css");
-->
</style>

Between these two I almost exclusively use the import method as the link method has a habit of not registering on some (read: many) browsers.

Hope this helps :) Please mark as solved if your issue is resolved.

Member Avatar for diafol

have a look at your references - are they absolute or relative? Do they still apply to the new site? Are you using something like http://localhost/index.htm? Or have you got subfolders, etc? Have you tried opening the index.htm page through windows explorer? If that doesn't work, it seems that you have not referenced properly.

Could you share the website URL with us ?

the web site isnt live yet, its still in the design process and the client doesnt want us to publish it at all yet. iv checked it with my old computer and it still works fine on there, fine in design view on dreamweaver (new pc) and keeps all background settings etc just not div formatting. i have not used absolute/relative as when i did that also messed things up eg, some divs would be in the right hand side of the design in dreamweaver but centred in a browser.

this is how iv been doing the css for each div

#left
{
	width: 350px;
	margin-left:  100px;
	margin-top: 20px;
	margin-bottom: 100px;	
	background: url(layout%20images/home%20text.gif);
	border: 2px solid #000000;

}

and this is where i have linked the stylesheet in the header, having tried both link and import.

<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
<title>Essential Security Solutions</title>
<meta name="keywords" content="" />
<meta name="description" content="" />
<link href="/styles.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
<style type="text/css">

.style1 {
	color: #FFFF00;
	font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
}

</style>

</head>

i have not used absolute/relative as when i did that also messed things up eg, some divs would be in the right hand side of the design in dreamweaver but centred in a browser.

I think you misunderstood ardav in relation to absolute/relative.

From what I'm reading he was talking about your URLs within the pages and asking whether the URLs were absolute (http://yourdomain.com/page.aspx) or relative (/page.aspx) as absolute URLs sometimes auto-generated by dreamweaver and other design apps can sometimes point to a local directory in your system if the URLs were generated prior to the file being saved as part of your site/project.

This could also have applied to the location of your CSS file pointer (using either method I mentioned before) causing it to find the file locally when you test on your development computer but not find the file once uploaded to a web-server.

Hope that helps :)

Member Avatar for diafol

Thanks Lus.

This is an absolute wrt site root - BUT only if your site root is http://localhost/ or similar. If it has an additional '/' in it, you'll be buggered.

Try taking off the '/' at the beginning of the '/styles'

<link href="/styles.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />

However, if some styling is coming from the CSS file, it seems unlikely that you references are wrong.

//LATE - JUST NOTICED

I saw you mentioned live view in DW. That may be your problem. The live view in DW does not accurately reflect a real world browser. I never use it personally. When I want a real live view, I use about 5 real browsers, refreshing each in turn. Saves a lot of hassle with css niggles

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.