I've been building a commercial website and I'm ~30% finished, but there's a little problem I've been dealing with that I think I can stop but before I do all that I want to know if it works.

So here's the deal. Right now I'm running Apache on my machine and everything is working and I'm using 192.168.1.56 for my ip address which is nice because since I have my ports forwarded I can get to the website from outside by using my public IP.

That being said, I have a very finicky wireless connection to my router that drops everytime someone nearby uses a cordless phone. Running a line isn't a real option right now, but possibly changing my Apache setup to see me as 127.0.0.1 instead of 192.168.1.56 might.

The question. I know squat about localhost and 127.0.0.1 and how windows deals with them, so if I change my Apache configuration(possibly breaking it in the process) to accept from 127.0.0.1 will that bypass the router and let me work even if the local network is down or will it still try to run through the router and back to my machine?

David

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

If you change the Apache configuration to look at *:80 instead of 192.168.1.56:80 then any incoming HTTP request, on port 80, will be processed by Apache.

So, if you are using the browser on the local machine, localhost or 127.0.0.1 will work. If you are trying to hit it remotely then 192.168.1.56 will work.

Thanks for the reply.

I changed the listening address to *:80 but the next time the cordless phone was in use it said "working in offline mode" again. :(

This is really more an issue for an Apache forum and it's more an irritation than anything else.

I'm going to go ahead and mark this one solved, and deal with it another time.

Thanks again,
David

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.