Hi!
how do i create glowing text using html and css.

by writing the code given below i am unable to do the same.

<TABLE STYLE="filter:glow(color="red", strength=4)"> <TR><TD><center> TEXT GOES HERE</center></TD></TR></TABLE>

Please help!

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

You're closing the style when you call "red" which is why it's not rendering properly. All you need to do is remove the speech marks around "red" to fix it.

I'm not sure why you're doing it in a table though and you should be using css to centre the text and not use the deprecated <center> tag. Just add style="text-align: center;" within any <p> tags or in the case of tables, in the <td> tag. Tags should also be in lowercase.

I need glowing text and it's not working even after ..................

<table style="filter:glow(color=red, strength=4)"> <tr><td>TEXT GOES HERE</td></tr></table>

What browser are you using? I've tested your code and the text will only glow in IE and not in FireFox.

Wouldn't it be easier and cross browser compliant to create an imagein fireworks or photoshop and add some effects to make it look like its glowing? I think the glow filter in css is only compatible with IE. I could be wrong, but I think I remember reading that somewhere.

You actually don't even need that. Use the text-shadow property:

text-shadow:[x-pos] [y-pos] [blur radius] [color];
text-shadow: 0px 0px 3px #fff;
filter: Shadow(Color=#ffffff, Direction=135, Strength=5); /*IE HACK*/

The higher the blue radius is the more "glow" you'll get. Just be sure your x/y values are 0px.

Technically that's not a hack, above, as a hack exploits an error to get a result. Filter is IE only proprietary code, the same way that when dealing with older browsers for shadows we use some proprietary code for them, like this

-moz-box-shadow: 4px 4px 4px #a6c6d1; <-- proprietary mozilla code
-webkit-box-shadow: 4px 4px 4px #a6c6d1; <--- proprietary webkit code
box-shadow: 4px 4px 4px #a6c6d1; <--- modern, css3 code

Then we'd add a conditional statement in the header to add IE filter effects for older IE.

Hacks may go wrong in the next new version of a browser if an error gets corrected, proprietary code and conditional statements can't go wrong, as they ONLY target the older dud browser.

I will say this...I'm not a fan of glowing text or text shadowing. It hurts the eyes! lol I hope if you do use some of these in your page, you use it with discretion.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.