Hi everybody,

I'd like to embed PDF files in the browser (mostly mobile). We'd like to avoid solutions that first must go through Google or what have you for privacy reasons.
I know this is possible by way of various services like FlexPaper or PDFTron, but FlexPaper doesn't work so well for a lot of our mobile devices and other services are quite expensive.

Is there a simple way to just display the PDFs even forgoing a lot of the additional functionality those other services provide? Or perhaps a nice simple open-source version?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Member Avatar for LastMitch

@Vincentas

Is there a simple way to just display the PDFs even forgoing a lot of the additional functionality those other services provide? Or perhaps a nice simple open-source version?

You just want to know how to open the pdf file from a browser?

Then just link it like this:

<a href="yourwebsite/yourfolder/your.pdf">My Pdf<a/>

so when someone click the link and it will open the pdf file in the browser.

Regarding about embeded:

<embed src="/path/yourfolder/your.pdf" />

It does the same thing.

or you can used Google Doc which has that feature:

http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2009/09/embeddable-google-document-viewer.html

This is great for a limited number of PDF, but how would you enable the user to browse hundreds of PDF files in a directory?

Member Avatar for LastMitch

This is great for a limited number of PDF, but how would you enable the user to browse hundreds of PDF files in a directory?

1 solution is to open a new window with 1 pdf file.

1 solution is to open a new window with 1 pdf file.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.