Ok... to be honest I should have seen this coming. But as I was designing my website I decided to test it out (test.weblup.net) in IE and Firefox. If you test it out yourself you can see how different they look. Well I'm not sure how to deal with it exactly. I'm still somewhat new to HTML and it's cross-compatibility. I'm still trying to learn a lot. You can see all the CSS here (I just thought it was a lot to copy and paste):
http://test.weblup.net/css/home/css-reset.css
http://test.weblup.net/css/home/body-wrapper.css
http://test.weblup.net/css/home/header-welcome.css
http://test.weblup.net/css/home/header-menu.css
http://test.weblup.net/css/home/header-background.css

So what exactly needs to be changed? Also if you want it would be nice if you gave me a feedback on how you think the CSS looks so far. It would be very helpful to know whether I'm on the right track right now so far.

Recommended Answers

All 34 Replies

Member Avatar for diafol

Providing screenshots and outlining what exactly the problems are would be a good step.

If you test it out yourself you can see how different they look.

That's fine if we knew what we were looking for, but we don't

it would be nice if you gave me a feedback on how you think the CSS looks so far

You may find the Show Off Your Projects subforum useful

The reason there are no screen shots are because it is best to see for yourself. So if you opened up IE, Firefox, etc... You can see how they compare to Chrome. For example IE has a very messed up body section with a slider bar that shouldn't be there. Everything looks right in Google Chrome. So that is what IE, Firefox, etc... Are being compared to.

Do some research on "CSS resets". These CSS settings are good to apply on your site so you can override default user agent (browser) settings since various browsers have different defaults for certain elements.

In addition, if you try to use/apply more "modern" HTML5/CSS 3 styles, you will find that not all browsers will provide the same support.

I already have a css reset for my website.

Member Avatar for diafol

The reason there are no screen shots are because it is best to see for yourself. So if you opened up IE, Firefox, etc... You can see how they compare to Chrome. For example IE has a very messed up body section with a slider bar that shouldn't be there. Everything looks right in Google Chrome. So that is what IE, Firefox, etc... Are being compared to.

My point being you didn't mention what the issue was. Also screenshots are useful as sometimes problems occur on browsers because you're being served a cached version and not the most recent with regards to new css. So screens hots are invaluable. You can also highlight e.g. red circles which elements are causing consternation. I only mention all this so that members will find it easier to help you. Dont make people work to hard or provide too little info - people will lose interest. I usually set aside 5 minutes per thread or a little longer if it interests me. Having to go through all the rigamarole to find out what the issue actually... well, no time left.

@bensirpent7
look bloke, them little blue highlights under the names
You get them when Guru no longer says enough

the titles "Most Valuable Poster" "Problem Solver" say a lot

mouse over the images, Skill endorsements, reputations points, solved queries, out the wazoo
You have the dream team trying to help,
two of the top10 of 1.2million
the odds of drawing that is 1:16 billion
try the suggestions

Me: I don't help much :)

Well this is sad. I've never seem to have had a problem before with Daniweb. I actually used to promote it. I've done threads like this before and had no problem. Obviously no one wants to try to answer this problem so I'm just gonna have to dig my way through Google instead of hoping for advice from a very experienced designer which obviously most of you are. First problem I have ever had with Daniweb.

Tantrums don't help
you didn't try the suggestion, or provide the requested details,
failure of the most pathetic kind

edit::
down marked, more tantrums, there's 3700 other posts you can find and downmark if you want
You had two gurus attempt to assist you
You refused to help them help you
If it is, as in your mind, how come you have to ask for help?
You exemplify the; shallow end of the gene pool, zero end of the 0-10 scale, reason why some animals eat their young, me generation, failure of the school system, lack of intellect,

If those are too obscure, pathetic

I don't believe you are helping either. But it's OK I already figured it out. It actually wasn't that hard to answer if effort was put in but that's ok. So I'm done and I am no longer watching this article

Then, why didn't you put in a little effort?
Nobody else should until after you do

I didnt bother helping you, you came across as a petulant R-sole

You can't fix stupid

Member Avatar for diafol

I believe that I've helped you in the past:

https://www.daniweb.com/web-development/web-design-html-and-css/threads/474878/navigation-tab#post2074165

https://www.daniweb.com/web-development/web-design-html-and-css/threads/475378/centering-in-div

Some of us are still prepared to help, even though we've been downvoted, for what I see as providing constructive comments. But it can alienate people after a while.

I do not agree with your statement that this is a "problem" with Daniweb. You were given some advice but chose to ignore it. I believe the problem lies elsewhere.

Google: http://i.imgur.com/vQEXL4x.jpg?1
This is the one that is completely correct

Mozilla: http://i.imgur.com/GFoS8o9.jpg?1
There is only one small difference (it seems) which is the distance from the text and sides in the "article part".

IE: http://i.imgur.com/aLAsOSs.png?1
As you can see there are many problems with this one. Out of alignment, scrollbar, etc...

If you would like to get overloaded with code let me know. Otherwise you can click the links in the first post where are the code can be seen.

Happy now?

I don't believe you are helping either. But it's OK I already figured it out. It actually wasn't that hard to answer if effort was put in but that's ok. So I'm done and I am no longer watching this article

Glad its figured out,
Glad it didnt actually work
Glad I don't give a shit
lots of luck with all future f̶a̶i̶l̶u̶r̶e̶s̶ endeavours

Member Avatar for diafol

Happy now?

No actually. I was still prepared to help, but this is a petulant tone I can quite frankly live without. Consider yourself on my ignore list. Good luck with your future endeavours. Well and truly alienated.

So this isn't a problem with daniweb. Haha OK whatever you say. You go ahead and keep telling yourself that. I even put the effort in to help and you can't get over yourself.

Ben, you have to understand that people are very sensitive to tone. Saying things like "happy now," "keep telling yourself that," I don't believe your helping" really just shows disrespect to those who help you. You have to remember that the people here who are helping you are experienced at what they do, so show some respect. Imagine talking to your parents like that, do you think they will like it? They most likely will not.

You are on a forum working with someone to solve a problem (every forum is the same), your not texting your friends. Just keep that in mind.

So I guess you're implying I'm not sensitive to tone and that everything almostbob replied with was helpful, legitimate, and appropriate. I'm not the one who first started to show off tone. I was even consciously trying to keep cool until I finally couldn't take it anymore

He actually didn't say anything wrong to start any argument. He just said that you have some of the top people helping you out with your problem and that he can't help you (implying that the 2 that are helping you are better assistance). He didn't say anything bad.

Your next post, which came right after his, was talking about the fact that you were dissatisfied with something about posting here and then the problems started from there.

Its the little details that matter. Either you read almostbob's comment as an insult or you just didn't understand what he was implying.

So relax. If something like this happens and it offends you, just flag it. Daniweb's admins will make sure your problems are resolved. Don't look at the posts as a way to discourage you from posting on this forum, or any, just look at it as advice. Attacking fire with fire typically doesn't help anyone.

commented: +1 for peacekeeping. +12

Well I will take heed to the words you say. I never had anything against anybody except almostbob. I never meant to offend diafol considering most of what I said was not directed to him. I was offended when almostbob called me a bloke. But you know what. I thought about what I said and I would like to say I am sorry to whoever I offended. If diafol cannot read this apology I would hope some would tell him that I am sorry. I also lied about figuring the problem out. I didn't and I'm not sure what to do about it. If anyone is still willing to help I would appreciate it. And if anyone needs more info please let me know. Also, I will remember to flag comments instead of retaliate against them.

Well... a bloke just refers to a man... or a fellow...

Anyways, when I get home, I will try to make an effort to getting involved with your question... I am stuck at a wedding... and it won't end until 2 or 3am... hopefully it ends sooner

Well my interpretation of how he said bloke was different. It's alright take your time. I've just had a rough time lately. If they're is any chance you could please tell diafol I apologize for offending him that would be great.

I've passed your apologies on to diafol. Wouldn't worry too much, he's made of tough Welsh stuff :)

Geez bloke, I'm Australian, I'm a bloke, your a bloke, he's a bloke
What did you think a bloke is?
If you dunno what a bloke is.
You could have asked a bloke
you could ask google what is a bloke
She's a sheila

hard times, sorry for that,

commented: That's cool bloke :) +10
Member Avatar for diafol

Ok let's get it straight. Not after special respect other than the common civility that we expect from everybody on this site. Not aimed specifically at Ben. Sometimes contributors may sound a little terse or abrupt, but that is often due to the time we have to articulate our point.

Thanks for apology.

This is just an explanation of how I take bloke: Bloke in America is more so used as an expression to imply someone is dumb. As in it's almost another word for dumb. Sorry for the misunderstanding and I'm glad you accept my apology.

I'm a geezer... :)

commented: I'm a boyo! +15

Never heard of blocke being used as "dumb".

So back to your issue... Where are you with this problem? Any progress?

Haha no. Uh... the only thing I can think of is to try and see what I can change in my css that isn't only 1 browser dependent. But as far as I know I'm not sure what to really add to make it work on all browsers. Like I said I've never had this problem before surprisingly haha.

Ok. I'll probably take a look but because of the new year holiday, it may be a day or so before I can get to it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.