Hi, I have been having major problems with Frontpage and am ready to download a diffrent free website builder, whats the best one? and how would i upload my current pages to my new builder?

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

Hi, I have been having major problems with Frontpage and am ready to download a diffrent free website builder, whats the best one? and how would i upload my current pages to my new builder?

You call it Scite(in windows) or any notepad editor,
Add some google and websites about coding and you've got it.

Ok, why would you want to use a site builder if you can code it yourself?
It is so much more fun to code it yourself. With a bit of html, css and you're set.
Remember that is only the look and feel.
If it must be practical and able to do something use PhP.
The best is to google it

how would i upload my current pages to my new builder?

If your files are stored on your computer then all you need to do is click open in your new editor and the find your html file. Obviously then you need to upload it to your server.

If you can code, the I would reccomend HTMLKit available at www.chami.com.
It has integrated FTP so you can upload the site when it's done, you are also able to add a wide range of plugins to help you code more quickly.

HTH

I personally like using notepad, Amaya, and I'm starting to get used to Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition.

I personally like using notepad, Amaya, and I'm starting to get used to Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition.

I enjoy doning the coding myself. That way I am more in control
I haven't seen the Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005 Edition yet, though.
Nice avatar

i like visual web developer too but its not much good unless your host does ASP.NET 2.0 support

It is so much more fun to code it yourself. With a bit of html

It is so much more fun to code it yourself. With a bit of html

I agree, I found that using builders, is quite difficult. The text and images and so forth doesn't want to go precisely where you want them to and with the slightest change of a window, the whole thing looks ugly

Nice avatar

Thanks

since the 80s (god I'm old) plain text editors
now notepad++, wamp & DevPHP
probably 2 times faster than I can be with a wysiwg editor, and the code is better, and allows for templating the whole site
Just added six new properties to my site(real estate leasing), ~400 pages in about 5 minutes.
templates and databases

Anything other than FrontPage,
it was barely tolerable when it was first released, and has gottten only further behind with every new version.
MS do have some good software the visual studio set mentioned by Godfear http://www.microsoft.com/express/download/
and there are hundreds of php IDEs at sourceforge.net if your host is not asp enabled

It's all personal prefrence. Try a few and see what you get on with the best.

Personally i recommend aptana and notepad++

Aptana featues loads of plug-ins that are really useful such as php, ruby, php and it's abilty to have svn intergrated is a time saver =)

I will advice you to do what I always call "hard coding". It is coding from scratch. This have these advantages:
1. You make exactly what you want
2. You know how things works
3. You can reuse some parts of code
4. Etc.

Having said so, here are some editors/IDE for mainly PHP but will do also HTML

1. Notepad++ (Editor)
2. Netbeans (IDE)
3. DevPHP (IDE)
4. CodeLobster(IDE)
5. PHP Designer Personal Edition(IDE)

All are free, though I prefer Netbeans!

You!
If you learn HTML, CSS, Javascript, and PHP... you can do it how you like it, and free!!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.