I want to start Windows help and support center from the start menu but without success. When I choose help and support center from the startmenu I get the following message:

Windows cannot find helpctr.exe. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the start button, and then click search.

Hence I chose search from the same start menu and managed to find 3 instances on my computer (I searched for "helpctr.exe"). I tried to double click all three, one at a time and then this message was displayed:

Windows cannot open Help and Support because a system service is not running. To fix this problem, start the service named “Help and Support.

Therefore I used the start menu again and the run alternative. I typed services.msc. Then the various services of my system is displayed but I can’t find any service named “Help and Support. Hence, it is difficult to start that service.

I also tried to look at in the "add windows component" and "add program list" but without success.

Therefore I hope you’ve got an idea about how to get my windows help and support center running the way it should again.

jeffy1,

Try two things.

Place your Windows CD into your CD-Rom drive. Then...
Start >> Run >> type: cmd >> type: sfc /scannow >> Reboot >> Done.

If that doesn't work, then...
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/startmenuhelp.htm

J_

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.