here's the deal. I want to import data from xls file.at the moment I'm using phpMyAdmin's Import option to do it, but I'm wondering if there's another way to import the file to a new table in my db because-
-the first rows and cols in the file are empty, which means I need to delete them manually before each import.
-there are some cols that have the same name field, so I need to change it too (cuz there can't be 2 fields with the same name in the db) and to something specific each time so that the code I wrote won't give me problems
-I want to import few files with 1 click, and at the moment I'm importing each file separately.
-the name of the table that the import creates is set by the name of the excel sheet, which I also need to set correctly otherwise my code won't recognize the table.

so there's a lot of manual work to be done for a simple import. is there a way to make this process easier?

IF you have php installed on that server you can do this thing by using php script (need to be developed according to your requirements).

phpExcelReader.zip does the trick. I am using XAMPP under WINDOWS and LINUX as well.
Good luck, linuxaomi

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.