Hello 1 and all
I have created a stored procedure for table X. X contains the fields B,C,D,E,F,G. B is a primary key with data type int. I am giving the stored procedure as follows:

Create Proc [dbo].[spXSelect]
@B int=null
as
Begin
If @B  is Null 
Begin
Select Ident_Current('X') as 'Identity'
Select *From X 
End
 If @B  is Not Null 
Begin
Select *From X where B=@B
End
End

In want to retrieve only the columns D and E in .net programming. Is it possible. Please help me thanx in advance.

That code doesn't make sense to me... What are you trying to accomplish and more often than not people use the Ident_current to guess the next record id, but if two people retrieve the ident current then they both post data... one of them will have the wrong identity.

Also if @B is null you are returning 2 cursors, a 1col 1 row, and * from X.

Hi ,

I need more explanation :

1- How many parameters you want to send?
2- How did you declare Primary key, is it incremental ?
3- What result you want?
4- Where You want to use it?

Hi Dear,
Please fins the changes in you storedprocedure,

Create Proc [dbo].[spXSelect]
@B int=null
as
Begin
If @B is Null 
Begin
Select Ident_Current('X') as 'Identity'
Select D,E From X 
End
If @B is Not Null 
Begin
Select D,E From X where B=@B
End
End

@Bandar.M.A Yes dude it is incremental. I want to retrieve only the columns D and E using VB.Net.
@jaiswarvipin I was told not to modify the stored procedure. As of the query used in not null parameter they are saying that using Select *From X where B=@B I can retrieve specified columns . But none of them are able to give me correct reply.

Once again thanks for ur response

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.