Just a place you can bitch about the different generations. Don't be bashful, spill your opinionated guts!

Here is my analysis:
Oldies Generation ... people born before 1930
Silent Generation ... people born between 1930 and 1945
Baby Boomers ... people born between 1945 and 1961
Generation X ... people born between 1962 and 1976
Generation Y ... people born between 1977 and now

See the picture below for an explanation of Generation Y --->

Recommended Answers

All 26 Replies

We have a different name for generation Y, and it's not a very nice (though a very descriptive) one...

Generation Y will be the downfall of America.

They certainly are good at ruining music.

Gen X all the way baby.

I feel sorry for Gen Z.

Does it loop? Does that mean that when it gets past Generation Z it becomes Generation A? :P

I have an opinion about the "Baby Boomers", but you said don't be bashful...

The older generation has ALWAYS said that about the younger generations. Yet, we are still here :)

They certainly are good at ruining music.

There has not been a good piece of music written since 1961 with the sole exception of what you find in movies such as Sound Of Music (1965) and Grease (1978)

Does it loop? Does that mean that when it gets past Generation Z it becomes Generation A? :P

I have an opinion about the "Baby Boomers", but you said don't be bashful...

No, it's like a spreadsheet, it goes Generation Z, Generation AA, Generation AB, ... :)

I am a proud member of Generation Y! Some of our members might show their crack in rebellion, still better then to show the rest of us how calcified and conservative your brain gets as you age!

I am a proud member of Generation Y! Some of our members might show their crack in rebellion, still better then to show the rest of us how calcified and conservative your brain gets as you age!

Every generation experiences rebellion, what matters is how inventive you are with it.

Every generation experiences rebellion, what matters is how inventive you are with it.

Very true! I am trying to be jocular to be rebellious. Doesn't always work. Rebellion is seemingly always of the type to upset the conservative segment of our society.

Very true! I am trying to be jocular to be rebellious. Doesn't always work. Rebellion is seemingly always of the type to upset the conservative segment of our society.

But gen Y's version of rebellion, in my view just isn't loud enough. I find the products of gen Y to be dull and mass produced, to the point of being mind numbing. And when somebody finally decides to differ from the pack, that will be the beginning of gen Z.

I feel like a sellout but I agree (sigh).

Gen Y is mostly whiny and for the most part we have just one brain.

The teenagers of generation Y are not that much different then the teenagers of my generation :) That's just part of growing up and passing through puberty. You are just feeling the affects of your new bodies, and you will grow out of it just like every other adult has done for the past 10 million years. Wait 10 years and you will laugh at the silly things you are doing now. Just don't do something really stupid like driving while drunk and get yourself killed.

'Politics' is made up of two words, 'poli,' which is Greek for 'many,' and 'tics,' which are blood-sucking insects.
- Gore Vidal

This has nothing to do with the thread, I just think that is a great signature.

commented: hehe, agreed +3

I think that with every generation since X people are becoming more and more affraid of the government when it is the gov that should be affraid of the people. If the thoughts and beliefs of the majority were expressed through the actions of the gov then the world would be a better place and freedom would actually be possible.

De-generated all the way. ;-)

De-generated all the way. ;-)

Generation D was not in the list.

Generation D was not in the list.

There is no compulsion of selecting one from the list.

The ones I worry about are the ones who expect government to do everything for them.

The ones I worry about are the ones who expect government to do everything for them.

And expect it for free.

The poeple through action should make the gov realize that we are the deciders of there career but that requires demonstrations, intelligent voting and in some cases just voting period.

Yes, all the stupid laws that are passed and little by little everything is taken away. Can't smoke here, can't drink there, can't cook your burgers like that, this is the meat section and that section is for vegetarians only, your meat is rare so you need to eat outside. It's almost time for another tea party!!!

Yes, all the stupid laws that are passed and little by little everything is taken away. Can't smoke here, can't drink there, can't cook your burgers like that, this is the meat section and that section is for vegetarians only, your meat is rare so you need to eat outside. It's almost time for another tea party!!!

It takes government by the people for the people, not government by lobbyist for lobbyists.

It takes government by the people for the people, not government by lobbyist for lobbyists.

Unfortunately what we got is government made by the media, congress, judicial system, people who have nothing better to do than worry about what other people are doing - for the people

I remember when the 'crack' came around during the 50s (well, not very well but...) There were pictures in the newsrags of butt cracks and pubic hair - it just took longer for the look to come back around. Oh, and there is an on-line merchant that sells extra long t-shirts that they call 'crack spackle' - heh,heh

Remember that while the Beatles were famous so were all those bubblegum top 40 songs. If you looked around you might find some good music. Try this hipster web-comic - There are a lot of references to Indy groups

Let's all become lobbyists, then we are back to normal.

Wow, this guy needs to learn how to write better. I could barely get through that "sentence" without throwing up.

Maybe you actually have some type of disease. You might want to get that checked out.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.