okay not sure if this goes here

but what do you think to the psp! what good things does it offer is it worth buying or would you go for like a portable dvd cum music centre type thing

Epsos

Recommended Answers

All 58 Replies

I wouldn't buy that thing.

I'm not really into portable gaming or dvd. The only reason I would buy one of these would be if I was always travelling or rarely at home. I would rather play games on a console or computer and be sitting on my couch watching movies.

I've seen the psp in action. I think it is pretty cool with its wide screen and all. If you're really looking to buy a portable gaming thing and plan to use to alot, the psp is the way to go. It's a bit expensive I think though.

About portable dvd players, I hate them. Watching a movie on a 4 to 7 inch screen sucks but again, if you dont have time to watch movie on a big screen somewhere you might want to buy one. I dont think I would buy one even if I was in that situation.

Yeah, I would definitely go for the real thing. I don't like the portable games and stuff like that. Of course as Belema said, if you travel a lot then it could be necessary. Personally, I would just go with the console.

I agree. Consoles are the way to go. Handhelds typically have smaller screens, more fiddly controls, and worse graphics. If you like Sony, then wait for the PS3, my friend.

yeah i was waiting for the ps3 it looks amazing lol

personally i'd go for the revolution because of all the back compatability but let's please not turn this into a (pointless) console wars topic. :(

It's all about taste. If I would want a new console I would buy the 360. I'm more than satisfied with my xbox and PC.

would you go for a gaming laptop? if you had the choice but they would go out of date well easily lol

I would go with the laptop. You can do so much more with a computer than a game console. My laptop really isn't built for gaming, but I can play almost any game I want without any problems and it's just a Pentium M at 1.5GHZ. Of course there's a price variation between the two!

would you go for a gaming laptop? if you had the choice but they would go out of date well easily lol

Like server said, there is a difference in price but if money is not one of your worries, its a good choice. I have one myself (Pentium M 1.4ghz, 512mb ram w/ radeon mobility 9200 128mb). it would go out of date like anything will. If you are a gamer, a console will be out of date when new consoles come out (about every 4-5 years). If you have a PC and want to be up to date for optimum performance, you need to upgrade at least twice a year.

The good thing about consoles is that you never get compatibility issues and dont need to upgrade.

The good thing about consoles is that you never get compatibility issues and dont need to upgrade.

That is what I like so much about consoles, you dont have to look at the specs of a game before you buy it.

But I will also say a computer is much more versatile, they both have their pros and cons. You just have to go with what you want to do.

And in my opinion I dont see the PSP really taking off. gameboys will suffice for now :)

Amen brother

i would go for the mini gamecube system thats comin out same as gamecube just tiny with mini discs as for the new systems comin out i would go for the new gamecube too but thats just because the release game is an online smash brothers game...and im really into the smash brothers games...although i already forgot what the new non-hand-held gamecube will be called..

i would go for the mini gamecube system thats comin out same as gamecube just tiny with mini discs as for the new systems comin out i would go for the new gamecube too but thats just because the release game is an online smash brothers game...and im really into the smash brothers games...although i already forgot what the new non-hand-held gamecube will be called..

If you are reffering to the new nintendo console due to release in 2006, its called the Revolution.

And it will supposedly be back compatible with almost every nintendo game.

And there's a lot of those...

I dont think they already set a price to it. They havent decided which color to make it yet.

too pricey!!

just sticking to the topic! :cheesy:

I agree, it is very expensive and offers nothing "new". No thanks!

Im not saying I am interested in buying it but it could be something interesting for people who loved their old games. You will also have new games for the machine so you cant say it is nothing new.

I probably would not buy a PSP just because I never was much of a console gamer [the newest console I have is N64] because a laptop, or a even a desktop, (in my opinion) can do so much more than a $200+ dollar box and 20 $20 to $70 games.

If you compare prices, in a span of 4 to 5 years (a console releases every 4-5 years), a "PC gamer" has to spend a lot of cash to stay up to date for recent games compared to "console gamers".

Both are great! You cant compare preferences.

Like I said, I'm still stuck on the N64 :o so I based my prices on games from 4 to 6 years old.

Like I said, I'm still stuck on the N64 :o so I based my prices on games from 4 to 6 years old.

Games are still around 50$ to 80$ cnd. It's the console that get more expensive.

And I still prefer the SNES above all. The newer consoles don't have so many original games, just quite a few remakes...

The newer consoles don't have so many original games, just quite a few remakes...

True.

What I hate about consoles is most games arent made solely for consoles. I bought an XBOX and few interesting games are made solely for XBOX or even for consoles in general. The only shooter I really like on XBOX is Halo 2. Most of the other interesting ones are on PC and are better on PC. Apart but that game, I only buy sports games or racing on console.

Why not just get a handheld and use that instead? That way you, at least have something functional as well while playing a game on top of it and they are making some pretty neat games for both palms and pocket pc's. You would be surprised what some of us are actually doing with our handhelds when we LOOK like we are working :) Bejeweled 2 is great! Liz

And I still prefer the SNES above all. The newer consoles don't have so many original games, just quite a few remakes...

I have a SNES (which I did not buy; a frend gave it to me) and I ocasionaly play it when i'm sick, when i'm downloading a HUGE file, preforming overnight matinance on my computer, or am just plane bored.

Why not just get a handheld and use that instead? That way you, at least have something functional as well while playing a game on top of it and they are making some pretty neat games for both palms and pocket pc's. You would be surprised what some of us are actually doing with our handhelds when we LOOK like we are working :) Bejeweled 2 is great! Liz

Some people dont like handheld as much. I prefer console or computers mostly because of the mutiplayer capabilities. Its just fun to play with over 10 friends or whatever to games like Halo 2 or Unreal tournament. I dont buy things to make believe im working.

Maybe if I could get a psp for 100$CDN i would take it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.