1,105,416 Community Members

Why quote a title when all they ask for is help?

Member Avatar
RTFMID10T
Junior Poster in Training
80 posts since Mar 2012
Reputation Points: 6 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 9 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 0 [?]

Reading through the forums and seeing some responses, why do people quote their titles?? I don't think they care for one and it would matter on your resume, but to fix an issue of a hardware issue or some software or network issue. Yea, ok i have a wallet of certifications and years of experience with schooling and a Title that makes me sound important, all the person that asks a question wants is an answer not a monologue.

Member Avatar
diafol
Where are my eyes?
12,987 posts since Oct 2006
Reputation Points: 1,821 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 1,849 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 92 [?]
Featured
Sponsor

Could you point to a post - I've never seen one.

Member Avatar
zeroliken
Nearly a Posting Virtuoso
1,222 posts since Nov 2011
Reputation Points: 79 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 216 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 15 [?]

Reading through the forums and seeing some responses, why do people quote their titles?? I don't think they care for one and it would matter on your resume, but to fix an issue of a hardware issue or some software or network issue. Yea, ok i have a wallet of certifications and years of experience with schooling and a Title that makes me sound important, all the person that asks a question wants is an answer not a monologue.

Let me guess it's in the hardware and software forum right? ;)

I guess it's probably to make his post trustworthy and credible by showing his experience to back that it up

Member Avatar
RTFMID10T
Junior Poster in Training
80 posts since Mar 2012
Reputation Points: 6 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 9 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 0 [?]

You may have guessed right. I can see the credibility thing, but you don't use it to talk someone else down by throwing in "I have been trained in blah blah blah." Build a reputation to people, that's better than any monologue of your credentials.

Member Avatar
zeroliken
Nearly a Posting Virtuoso
1,222 posts since Nov 2011
Reputation Points: 79 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 216 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 15 [?]

You may have guessed right. I can see the credibility thing, but you don't use it to talk someone else down by throwing in "I have been trained in blah blah blah." Build a reputation to people, that's better than any monologue of your credentials.

Yup I know exactly who it is then ;)
Cause there's only one member I know who posts like that

But I guess that just reflects how he likes to post it's not really a bother to me and maybe the OP,

If I'm a newbie poster asking for help and got my problem solved then I wouldn't mind how that helper responded to me so long as it's not rude or ridiculing me

is it really bothering you that much?

You
This article has been dead for over three months: Start a new discussion instead
Tags Related to this Article