I have not used Stack Overflow for some time now unless really necessary or I cannot find an answer anywhere else. My decision were based on the "arrogance" of some moderators, it seemed that the entire site moved away from being a community service to a "I am the boss, do as I say" environment.

With AI affecting all of our lives, being it development or just general IT interest, our livelihoods seems to be in jeopardy as more and more people is replaced by AI - AI eliminated nearly 4,000 jobs in May....

Stack Overflow started clamping down on AI generated posts/answers in December 2022 which led to many member accounts being closed. In a very hush-hush decision during May 2023, Stack Overflow decided to allow AI generated content to their site. This caused a huge upheaval with the volunteer moderators who, in the interim, went "on strike".

In my opinion it comes to show that when developers decide on a "mission" and "action" statement for their Apps, they need to stick to their original outlay as is the case above. Stack Overflow grew in numbers and strength based on the huge community they served by community members. Once they start removing that feature, it can only suggest doom and gloom until it reverts back to it's originality.

The full report can be viewed Stack Overflow Moderators Are Striking to Stop Garbage AI Content From Flooding the Site

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Stack Overflow has always had that arrogance behind it. It’s from the very nature of how you gain moderation power in the platform based on your activity, regardless of if you are even-tempered or have a personality suited to being objective, as opposed to being voted into the position. It’s a double edged sword, because, as a result, active members feel like they have a right - not a privilege - to control how things should function, even if that’s at odds with the business model or investors.

commented: Amen to that! +0

@Priteas, I agree. Huge downvote and some heavy under-currents from some moderators. Interesting to see where this will go and what the outcome will be, I tend to agree with most comments, 'Phillip' tried to manipulate feelings with a nicely 'friend' post. Main reason why I left a few years ago.

:) Hence my title "So the cookie crumbles". I would like to know what the real reason is for SE to withhold the data dump, maybe not coining on the use of the data (which is free for all as per the license) and are now looking at options where they can coin the most. This from a site that is dependable on their community input which is given for free... disgusting!

commented: Agreed +0

My decision were based on the "arrogance" of some moderators, it seemed that the entire site moved away from being a community service to a "I am the boss, do as I say" environment.

AndreRet, based on your latest post it seems you feel as if DaniWeb now suffers from the same exact problem.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.