Do you like to read? Reading code does not count here, LOL. If you enjoy reading, then:

• What is your favorite genre(s)?
  • Who is your favorite author(s)?
  • How much do you read per week?
  • What are you reading now?

I do not read enough, unfortunately, probably 2-3 hours each week. I am currently reading "Plato:The Republic" (a great study in logic and debate tactics). My favorite genre is English (British\ European) Literature, History\ WWII, and Religion\ Philosophy. I do not care for Science Fiction or most poetry. My favorite authors: Charles Dickens, Yukio Mishima, Jean Genet, Emily Dickinson, William S. Burroughs, Martin Luther, Augustine, Plato, Thoreau.

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

Member Avatar for iamthwee

I enjoy reading those books in the newsagents they only keep on the top shelf.

My favourite genre:

Fiction
Tech Related
Spiritual

For fiction I prefer P.G. Wodehouse (comedy), Agatha Christie (murder mystery) and Perry Mason ( courtroom murder mystery)

For tech related, it can be any gaming magazine, normal PC magazines, articles on the internet and what not !!

I read way too much:

SF and Fantasy. I also read Science non-fiction and History.

In no particular order; Brian Lumley, Robert Jordan, Isaac Asimov, Tolkien (of course), David Eddings and terry Pratchett.

At least 2 and a half hours a day (I have a 1 hour commute to work).

Sailing to Sarantium by Guy Gavriel Kay, the first book of a fantasy trilogy set in a world loosely based on the Byzantine Empire. Also, I am partway through a translation of Caesar's Commentaries called The Battle for Gaul which I keep with me and use as a backup (eg, when I finish my current book on the morning commute).

Do you like to read? Reading code does not count here, LOL. If you enjoy reading, then:

I do not read enough, unfortunately, probably 2-3 hours each week. I am currently reading "Plato:The Republic" (a great study in logic and debate tactics). My favorite genre is English (British\ European) Literature, History\ WWII, and Religion\ Philosophy. I do not care for Science Fiction or most poetry. My favorite authors: Charles Dickens, Yukio Mishima, Jean Genet, Emily Dickinson, William S. Burroughs, Martin Luther, Augustine, Plato, Thoreau.

Good for you. "The Republic" is a good classic.

Cool. I seem to be the only person who likes poetry :)

Well we have got Mr. Tgreer who is a professional poet, isn't he ?

Why are SF and Westerns classes of their own and not literature/fiction?
Are they not good enough?
Are they somehow worse than the kind of crap you could read in Reader's Digest (which would fall under literature in your breakdown)?

I read a lot, mostly SF&Fantasy but far from exclusively so.
Lots of tech stuff as well, and political/military thrillers.
Spend something like €100 a month or more at bookstores on books alone.

What is your favorite genre(s)?
I like fantasy, sci-fi, light horror and comic novels. I'll also read the occasional graphic novel, usually but not always falling into those genres.

Who is your favorite author(s)?
I like Pratchett, Douglas Adams and Tolkein in the fantasy and sci-fi sections. John Stroud's Bartimaeus Trilogy is also good, and Darren Shan is a great writer of mild horror. Eiichiro Oda's One Piece graphic novels are superb, as is the epic and brilliant graphic novel by Jeff Smith, Bone. I would highly reccommend any of these authors.

How much do you read per week?
I always have a novel on the go, and I have a rather large bookshelf-ful to choose from if I want a break from my current page-turner. I always read on the train to and from school and often at breaktimes when I really should be doing other things >_>. I read my best in evenings, but that's usually when I'm online, so I don't have as much time.

What are you reading now?
I'm currently reading Moving Pictures by Terry Pratchett, the ninth in the Discworld series.

...Longest. Ramble. Ever.

Can't vote for more than one :sad: Add literature to my list, in addition to non-fiction.

I have seen a lot of people mention "discworld" here.

What kind of novel or book is it ? Does it fall under the same category as LOTR? What is the concept used in these books ?

Thank you.

I have seen a lot of people mention "discworld" here.

What kind of novel or book is it ? Does it fall under the same category as LOTR? What is the concept used in these books ?

Thank you.

To answer your question, ~s.o.s.~, "Discworld" is a series,not just a book. It is based on a planet that is flat(thus, Discworld). It encompasses a wide range of adventures( Tiffany the witch in "The Wee Free Men" and "A Hat Full of Sky", the cat Maurice and rats in "The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents"). By Terry Pratchett. If you really want to experience it for yourself, read them. They're good. :cool:

commented: Ah..thanks for the info will look into it as soon as I get some time :D - ~s.o.s~ +8

>* What is your favorite genre(s)?
Science fiction/fantasy, technical, manga, history, and the occasional mystery.

>* Who is your favorite author(s)?
J.R.R. Tolkien, Orson Scott Card, Anne McCaffrey, C.S. Lewis, and Tom Clancy.

>* How much do you read per week?
20ish on average, more if I have a book that I'm really into. I spend approximately three hours reading every night before bed, but sometimes I'll sit down and read just for the heck of it.

>* What are you reading now?
I'm reading Star Wars: Bloodlines, one of the new Legacy of the Force books.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.