So, World of Warcraft has hit eight million subscribers across four continents and is played in seven languages, and it is only two years old.

Latest figures released show that there are a couple of million North American players, one and half million in Europe and a whopping great three and half million in China.

But does this make it the greatest online multi-player game ever, or just the fastest growing?

Recommended Answers

All 17 Replies

So, World of Warcraft has hit eight million subscribers across four continents and is played in seven languages, and it is only two years old.

Latest figures released show that there are a couple of million North American players, one and half million in Europe and a whopping great three and half million in China.

But does this make it the greatest online multi-player game ever, or just the fastest growing?

Fastest growing-- has the best marketing? IMO the best online games are:

• FLYFF
  • Runescape
  • Gunz
  • Pac-Man

And, note, all these are FREE to play.

I rather liked the Discworld MUD, but then I am a happy old geek :)

Naa, its not just promotion...The people who have played the game tell the tale of its success.

Graphics not less than an eye candy, gameplay nothing less than an innovation, the flexibility to provide enjoyment to all kinds of players etc etc....What more do you need ?

My opinion: Its not pure promotion but also the promise to provide the subscribers nothing but the best.

Naa, its not just promotion...The people who have played the game tell the tale of its success.

Graphics not less than an eye candy, gameplay nothing less than an innovation, the flexibility to provide enjoyment to all kinds of players etc etc....What more do you need ?

My opinion: Its not pure promotion but also the promise to provide the subscribers nothing but the best.

No, it is not pure promotion. Players today are quite sophisticated in their tastes and the competion out there demands quality. Promotion, though, of course plays a vital role in the sucess or demise of any product, and in the end, this piece of software is a mere, plastik product that requires a powerful promotion system, internationally.

Well I would say pac man hands down

Well I would say pac man hands down

[IMG]http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41215000/jpg/_41215779_pacman_game203.jpg[/IMG]

PacMan is awesome. I have been playing it since it first debuted in the arcade, yet, I've still never become very good at it. I do love modern 3D games, but I grow tired of the focus on visual effects and the tired storylines. There is just something special about PacMan.

Regards,
sharky_machine

Yes, I understand that there is more to a game then simply eye candy. But the eye candy can make or break a modern game that you've paid good money for: if the characters are blocky and the textures are dodgy, and this is something you'd expect in a 5 year old game, then you're going to be pretty annoyed. But if you're playing a highly polished game with real time lighting and shadows, billions of polygons per object, etc. You can find yourself really immersed in the world, marvelling at its sights. Plus I once played a free online FPS called Tribes and the textures shift as you look at them: you physically get headaches from playing after about 1/2 an hour.

However sometimes the old classics are good: Pac-Man, Doom, etc.

No, it is not pure promotion. Players today are quite sophisticated in their tastes and the competion out there demands quality. Promotion, though, of course plays a vital role in the sucess or demise of any product, and in the end, this piece of software is a mere, plastik product that requires a powerful promotion system, internationally.

True, promotion plays a vital role in making or breaking a game, but do you think the people at EQ2 (Everquest 2) or even Vanguard promote less than those at WoW (World of Warcraft)...I guess no.

Nowadays what makes or breaks or games is that what the game has to offer to its players, what is the thing that the game hosts which is not present in the other peer games . Having a good balace of all the things is what nowadays makes a good game, methinks. Oh and btw the rating of WoW is 9.5 or something and the people of Gamespot are in no way influenced by advertising while deciding the rating...;)

As far as the classic games are concerned, we play them mostly because they are free or because we still have an old bone somewhere left in our body. No one would shell out(atleast me, can't say about everyone) $20 to play a game like pacman....

battlefield 2!

[IMG]http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41215000/jpg/_41215779_pacman_game203.jpg[/IMG]

PacMan is awesome. I have been playing it since it first debuted in the arcade, yet, I've still never become very good at it. I do love modern 3D games, but I grow tired of the focus on visual effects and the tired storylines. There is just something special about PacMan.

Regards,
sharky_machine

Yup I have almost all pacmans game and I say almost all of them

Counterstrike is the best; and I mean v1.6 not any of this CS:Source malarkey.

Greatest game ever would have to be Diablo from Blizard. The last release sold over 1 million copies before it was released. And now Blizard is working on a third release, supposed to come out this year I think. I have been playing the game since its inception, about 10 years or so ago (1997). And since today is a holiday at my company I plan to play Diablo LOD again today so I can beat the bad monster for the million'th time.

And now Blizard is working on a third release, supposed to come out this year I think.

Really ? Where did you read it....

The game sure rocks. Completed the game with a Necromancer. Ah..those times....*sigh*

um what about perfect dark

Really ? Where did you read it....

The game sure rocks. Completed the game with a Necromancer. Ah..those times....*sigh*

There have been several rhumors about it, like this one.

WoW is probably great, but I'm not willing to pay the money to buy the game, AND the subsequent subscription, no matter how good it is. At the end of the day it's only a game, and based on my income spending that amount of money on it is ludicrous.
Adventure Quest (aka Battleon) has a good subscription service and used to be great, but it's gotten very samey over the years and recently they've been politely trying to suck even more money out of members with premium items. At least the subscription is still a one-time fee, though I doubt that will last forever.
I've played Runescape on and off for the past few years, and at some times it's engrossing, while at others it's the last thing I want to do (for anyone who needs to know, I'm 'off' at the moment ;))
The only RPG I've played recently is Flyff, but the new year and tons of coursework (groan) means I have little to no time for it. Plus once you get beyond level 30-40, leveling is insanely hard.

And that's my pointless rant for the day :)

Plus once you get beyond level 30-40, leveling is insanely hard.

Its the same thing for every MMORPG out there...Once you get past the initial 'fast levelling' fun, its really time consuming thing. If such is the case go with WoW since experience points are gained even when you are in hibernation or not playing...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.