i was thinking about upgrading my computer all games require ram but how exactly does it help? i have 1024 already would buying another stick help me out much?

Recommended Answers

All 22 Replies

The simple answer is it's all about speed, and a large amount of RAM equates to speed with games, but that's only part of the equation.

Video card speed and capability is more important for gaming.

Actually it is the sum of the parts in that is important, gaming computers do rely heavily on the graphics card, but without good RAM and a good CPU you still ain't playing up to speed.

video cards make the difference.

video cards make the difference.

Graphics cards make a difference, but unless you have the other components to support it that card isn't going to make any difference. No one device is the key.

Take the person who decided to up grade their graphics card so that they could play BF2, they purchased it and installed it only to discover that their PSU wasn't large enough to support it. After purchasing and installing a hefty PSU they then found out that the 512MB of RAM was being sucked up like it wasn't even there, another purchase of another 512MB of RAM finally got their game going.

A smart combination of Graphics card and RAM should set things alright for a gamer. Also it depends on the game you are about to play. Games like `Stalker: Shadows of Chernobyl' though recent require a minimal configuration. On the other hand, `Elder Scrolls' requires you to have a solid configuration for a uninterrupted game play.

Considering that you have 1GiB of RAM, you need to get a decent graphic card if you already haven't got one.

Considering that you have 1GiB of RAM, you need to get a decent graphic card if you already haven't got one.

Exactly my thought, when I posted earlier.

For first person shooters you need a 128mb graphics card (preferably 256) and 1/2 gig of ram (1gb is good, 2gb is better) and a cpu of 3ghz.

i have a celeron D right now that hits 3.0ghz i dont think i am i need of upgrading that right now, DO you think differently?

is the D the dual core one?

usually celerons are crap for gaming compared to pentiums (as they have less cache) but maybe because its D it might be ok.

aight well my celeron D is the shiz

lol i love your sig. i was 15 when i joined here

I need to change it i turned fifteen about a month ago. Lol

Change it and we will start beating you like a rented mule.

mmmmm rented mule...

3gz processor and 1gb ram.. I'd say those will yield good gaming results for the games of today. If you want to upgrade for gaming, I'd suggest upgrade the video card.

yeah thats what im attemping at the moment
Thanks,

you want 2 gig of you wanna play really high end games like fear or if you wanna get smoother play with farcry or battlefield

battlefield 2 is what im playing heaps of right now and yeah with my stupid crap gayhouse agp 7300GT im not getting very good results at all, because of the agpness.

ive got a ATI radeon x1600. Runs bf2 on medium at medium res no probs. Im saving for an x1950 though.

Little BF2 tip:

defrag your disk and go from 1 gig to 2 gig ram. Before i did that i used to take ages at that "Verifying Client Data Thing" and it used to hang when opening/closing battlefield and joining/keaving a game. Now the problem is solved.

i just bought 1 gig ram stick a couple of days ago..........lol

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.