Would someone mind filling me in on what's happening with Rep points?

My last item of rep (rep added to me) was on July 13th.

About two weeks ago, I had 332 rep points according to my Control Panel.

Yesterday, I looked at an older post, and saw that I was listed as having 15 points. Okay, I just presumed that the rep from Geek's Lounge and Posting Games had been filtered.

Today, I hit 10 points, again with no change in the list of rep items.

What's happening with the reputation values? I don't care about the numeric value, I'm just curious about why it's suddenly fluctuating without any sign of additional rep items (positive or negative) being added to my account.

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

Read this discussion. Rep is no longer valid in Coffee House, which includes Geek's Lounge.

Yeah, rep from non-tech threads isnt counted anymore. The reason it went down twice is because dani discovered a bug

Yes, and now the person who had 6 dots of rep only has one... :(
So, no one is else is allowed to complain :p

lol!! i understand josh my boy!! From now on start contributing :p

i wonder how christina is taking it? i couldn't see her comments anywhere about the rep system

I love this new system. All my rep came from the dev forums so I didn't lose anything with the shift.

lol!! i understand josh my boy!! From now on start contributing :p

i wonder how christina is taking it? i couldn't see her comments anywhere about the rep system

Lol, I am fine.
I posted a comment a couple minutes ago on the other thread about it.

damnit, rep!

commented: nice sig! +9

Argg. The only thing I even post in is the coffee house because I don't know anything about computers or anything. I guess I'm not really supposed to be much of a part of Daniweb if I don't know anything about computers. We should have a rep system and I seperate coffee house rep system.

Sheesh, why don't you guys get that reputation doesn't equal popularity? It's for the tech part of the site. You're more than welcome to come to the Coffee House (and please do), but the main site is for technical issues and the reputation system is meant to improve that.

Argg. The only thing I even post in is the coffee house because I don't know anything about computers or anything. I.

Of course you do know something about computers! If you don't then how in the world are you posting on DaniWeb :-O

Take a look at the Tech Talk board -- you may supprise yourself that you might know the answer to a few of the questions there. Read some of the problems and see if you can figure some of them out. Before you know it you will become as good as most other posters there, and start getting rep points for at least trying.

> Of course you do know something about computers! If you don't
> then how in the world are you posting on DaniWeb
I think he meant it 'The programming language' way, though I completely agree with you. :)

> Before you know it you will become as good as most other posters
Again agreed with you. Before you run, you must learn to walk. If you don't try it out, you reach nowhere.

And BTW sk8, of all the times I have read your no nonsense and witty replies, I am sure you are not the "duh, what's a compiler" type. :)

yea sk8, I'm sure you can contribute to some of the Tech portion of Daniweb. I have learned a programming language (java :)), but I can rarely help many people in the java forums.. I much rather prefer the Tech potion (IE troubleshooting). Even though my job is troubleshooting hardware/software issues.. I sometimes read people's tech 'problems', and try to help them. To be honest, I am almost always repeating myself.. I could probably help most people regarding hardware/windows OS, but I sometimes choose not to b/c the people seem so stupid.. haha anyway.. my point is that there are several people who sign up for Daniweb with help for a simple little problem that I'm sure even someone with little to no Tech experience could help troubleshoot (Even though their rep wont affect you, some Daniweb regulars will +rep you for your efforts.)

My advice would be not to get caught up on the worrying about rep road then. If you are here to learn, to hang out in the lounge, to be a part of the community but not to be solving problems etc, then that is great and you really are most welcome here. But under such circumstances reputation does not really enter your radar. It is provided as an at a glance measure of how much kudos a member carries when it comes to helping others, providing that tech support.

Plain and simple. :)

I look at post count to see if the person has good advice. Lots of posts means they must be doing something right..

> Lots of posts means they must be doing something right..
Post count doesn't convey anything. Its just a measure of how much free time you spend with Daniweb, thats it.

The process of finding out how much a person is worth is pretty much complicated and subjective. :)

> Lots of posts means they must be doing something right..
Post count doesn't convey anything. Its just a measure of how much free time you spend with Daniweb, thats it.

Exactly. I mean, look at me. Lol, I know very little about computers but I have 6,000 posts.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.