Member Avatar for iamthwee

I have recently submitted a tutorial under 3D modelling. What exactly is the criteria for the review process?

Thanks, just curious what the process is? Do the moderators get an email of an upcoming tutorial or do you just check the editorial/view page ad hoc.

I've just submitted another it has been in the queue for at least two days?

The process is that once you create a tutorial draft, it will be in this anti-chamber where you can edit it, save, edit, save, etc.. until you are happy with it. At that point, you should send a PM to one of the editorial members (happygeek, Dani, ..?) to get it approved. If it's good they will publish it as a tutorial. Moderators do not have any special powers when it comes to those editorial articles, they cannot publish them, nor review / revise them before they get published. That's the process, unless things have changed since the last time I published one.

Are you going to change it to white reversal?

No, that is totally a css bug that accidentally got introduced in the middle of the night last night. Next time I'll stop working before 3 am.

I think Mike makes some good points.

A few suggestions, perhaps it would be beneficial to automatically deliver an email so that as soon as a user ticks the 'final draft' box you automatically get an email.

Second, and far more pertinent, I think the moderators of that particular forum, should be allowed in the review process.

Tutorials are a different beast to snippets, they need to be of high quality and technically correct whilst written and formatted correctly.

For example, a c++ tutorial should be vetted by say mike. Of course, there are certain tutorials that cannot be vetted probably there are no moderators with such expertise, for example the last one I submitted.

In that case it is left up to the super mod's discertion (Dani & Happygeek)?

Thoughts?

I think the moderators of that particular forum, should be allowed in the review process

Absolutely agree. More often than not I see a tutorial posted that I am in no position to be able to review as I simply don't know the subject matter well enough to determine if it is accurate/worthy/misleading etc etc.

I'd like a proper peer review process, and involving the mods makes perfect sense to me as the initial first line of that process; the ongoing review happens once it is published and the community use the comments system of course.

I think the moderators of that particular forum, should be allowed in the review process.

As far as I know a moderator is not specific to any particular forum. I have moderator "powers" in all forums. I just choose to exercise them in forums that interest me or that I feel I have expertise in.

I agree that moderators should have access to the editorial articles before they are published and there should be some review process that allows the author or Davey/Dani to ask specific moderators to take a look at the article before it gets approved.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.