Hi:

I am wondering if any of you develop software with an activation scheme similar to that of Electric Quilt's EQ6. They allow for four activations. If a user reformats and reinstalls 4 times, they are out of activations.

I have seen activation methods that would not activate without a phone call if the actual computer being used was changed. A phone call to the company has always resolved these situations, regardless of how many times it had happened. In those cases the software had cost more and well, we were the "customer." If they would not allow us to reactivate we would probably choose a different vendor in the future since our business depended on the software running!

EQ will allow users to purchase additional activations and they suggest that they are very generous compared to other companies since they allow users to run 4 concurrent copies of EQ6. Well I don't want to run four copies, just one! You can read more ranted details at my blog here: http://techfettish.wordpress.com/.

Does anyone agree with me that EQ should, at the very least, market this software as "Four activations for EQ6," not as "EQ6," as they currently do?

Comments appreciated, here or on the blog.

Thanks.

Tek

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Windows is the same!

When you do product actuvation it sends a hardware fingerprint to MS. You get a set number (3ish) of allowed critical changes e.g motherboard, cpu and when they are up you have to ring up Microsoft and explain.

Windows is the same!

When you do product actuvation it sends a hardware fingerprint to MS. You get a set number (3ish) of allowed critical changes e.g motherboard, cpu and when they are up you have to ring up Microsoft and explain.

What if I never change the motherboard and cpu?

With EQ6 I can run out of activations using the same PC with no hardware changes!

Furthermore, when I call them up to explain they're going to tell me I need to pay $40 even if everything is completely legitimate. They will provide a single extra activation but beyond that they tell you how exceptionally generous they were to give you four in the first place!

More details are in my blog (linked in first post)- I don't want to rant too much here, I have a tendency to do that.

Windows is similar but not quite as bad, from what I can tell.

-tek

i would get annoyed if i only got 4 reformats. i reformat ever 3 months.

Seeing that most of the feedback I have been getting about EQ's practices is negative, I'm looking for more places to shine light on this. If you can recommend any similar forums please send me a private message (I'd rather not have any of Daniweb's competition advertised here!)

-tek

experts exchange is the nearest thing to a daniweb competitor. Good but its not free (might be a trial though)

According to their website, if you uninstall, reformat then install you do not use up an activation.
http://www.electricquilt.com/Shop/EQ6/EQ6activations.asp

This seems like a misinformation campaign, I wonder if I am dealing with an EQ employee here...

The second and third rows from the bottom on the left hand side of the chart you linked to say the opposite of what you claim.

It is simple to search that page for the word "format."

It is mentioned three times:

These USE an activation:

- Reformatting the drive on which Windows is installed

These DO NOT USE an activation:

- Windows is installed on C drive, install on EQ6 on D drive, reformat D drive, reinstall

- Reinstall Windows using the same Windows key without reformatting the drive, reinstall and reactivate

-tek

This seems like a misinformation campaign, I wonder if I am dealing with an EQ employee here...

The second and third rows from the bottom on the left hand side of the chart you linked to say the opposite of what you claim.

It is simple to search that page for the word "format."

It is mentioned three times:

These USE an activation:

- Reformatting the drive on which Windows is installed

These DO NOT USE an activation:

- Windows is installed on C drive, install on EQ6 on D drive, reformat D drive, reinstall

- Reinstall Windows using the same Windows key without reformatting the drive, reinstall and reactivate

-tek

What about the first box under does not use a new activation?
Does not use a new Activation
install and activate,
uninstall and reinstall
on the same computer
(without making any system changes)

Reformatting does not make system changes does it?

You are all over the place on this one. One message board you say you can't return the upgrade and your wife has not created anything on EQ5. Then why get an upgrade in the first place. You also talk on another spot about a $140.00 cost which was not the price of the upgrade. Then on this list you say you wanted the program for her so she could create on a program other than something clad. Well, why can't she create on her original version 5 which has unlimited reinstallation?

It is sounding more and more like you goofed and ignored their warning under system requirements to read all the system info prior to purchase. You said somewhere else that you looked at the requirements, saw XP and you chose to read no further. Yup, the manufacturer is really at fault for that one. Maybe they should require a signed release prior to selling the thing. Now you are all over the net complaining about them instead of just saying boy I think I screwed up, but maybe I didn't but I want to complain about them anyway so I will search the WWW looking for others who are saying bad things about this program. My goodness, for someone who upgrades and gets new computers all the time you are making a heck of a fuss over a $64 upgrade that so far has not given you one bit of trouble. Again, why upgrade when the original was never used? You are the one sounding like a company man, from a competing company that can't compete on it's own merits.
People who do not design original quilts have no idea just how much this program does, without the last upgrade, especially in the world of software.

You edit this blog, and edit that posting and ignore when someone points out that reformatting can be done if done in a certain sequence instead of doing your research before embarking on this campaign. Good grief.

What about the first box under does not use a new activation?
Does not use a new Activation
install and activate,
uninstall and reinstall
on the same computer
(without making any system changes)

Reformatting does not make system changes does it?

Reformatting would be considered a system change in this context, definitely.

The table entry you are referring to does not mention reformatting. The table entries that mention reformatting make it very clear when activations are used.

You are all over the place on this one. One message board you say you can't return the upgrade and your wife has not created anything on EQ5. Then why get an upgrade in the first place. You also talk on another spot about a $140.00 cost which was not the price of the upgrade. Then on this list you say you wanted the program for her so she could create on a program other than something clad. Well, why can't she create on her original version 5 which has unlimited reinstallation?

I mentioned the upgrade because it was something listed on EQ's site. I brought it up in the context of requesting a refund for EQ6. We never owned a prior version of EQ software.

It is sounding more and more like you goofed and ignored their warning under system requirements to read all the system info prior to purchase. You said somewhere else that you looked at the requirements, saw XP and you chose to read no further.

You're semi-accurate in quoting what I said. Go to this web page: http://www.electricquilt.com/Shop/EQ6/EQ6.asp. Notice right next to the picture of the box, where the text says "Requires XP or newer and an internet connection" ? THAT is what I read. I said that I believe a disclaimer stating that only 4 activations are included should be included next to that text.

I admitted that I did not read the "System Requirements" at all several times and I have explained why: I was sure my computer could handle running EQ6, which it can. Please explain to me why you think information about the activations should be hidden under "System Requirements" and not included next to the product name itself? (This is the essence of my problems with EQ, in case you've missed it).

Yup, the manufacturer is really at fault for that one. Maybe they should require a signed release prior to selling the thing.

Maybe they should describe what they're selling for what it is?

Now you are all over the net complaining about them instead of just saying boy I think I screwed up, but maybe I didn't but I want to complain about them anyway so I will search the WWW looking for others who are saying bad things about this program. My goodness, for someone who upgrades and gets new computers all the time you are making a heck of a fuss over a $64 upgrade that so far has not given you one bit of trouble.

I am complaining about their marketing ethics. Why isn't the activation information listed next to the product name?

The principal behind this licensing scheme bothers me. I would hate to see it adopted by all software companies but if it is, it should be loud and clear. Not 6 point font on the box.

Again, why upgrade when the original was never used?

Never purchased an upgrade.

You are the one sounding like a company man, from a competing company that can't compete on it's own merits.
People who do not design original quilts have no idea just how much this program does, without the last upgrade, especially in the world of software.

I could care less about the purpose of this software. I would be willing to draw light to any company who marketed and licensed their software the way EQ is, regardless of what the software is used for. So far I have been told of one other company that charges $5 for reinstallations but until I verify how their system works I will hold off naming them.

You edit this blog, and edit that posting and ignore when someone points out that reformatting can be done if done in a certain sequence instead of doing your research before embarking on this campaign. Good grief.

I have not ignored it. I have responded with quotes straight off of EQ's "activation information" table. Please allow me to try to respond once again, with less ignorance...

Nowhere on EQ's activation chart does it state that "reformatting will not use an activation, if done in a certain sequence." The line you quoted at the start of this reply mentions absolutely NOTHING about formating.

Although I find the chart quite simple and clear to understand myself, I can see how many users would be confused by it. The fact that you are so confused about it, after having looked at it so closely, shows exactly how confusing it is.

You need to separate out the terms and actions:

Formatting C: drive (primary partition)
Formatting D: drive (secondary partition)
Installing Windows
Reinstalling Windows over an existing installation
Installing EQ6
Uninstalling EQ6
Reinstalling EQ6 on an installation of Windows that EQ6 has already been installed on

The chart also discusses different profiles, separate drives, and activations but the item to focus on is when the primary partition is formatted. Any time this happens, a new installation of EQ6 is required and this WILL use an activation. A user can uninstall/reinstall on a different partition and do a host of other things in between without using another activation but as soon as that primary partition is formatted again, ANOTHER activation will be required.

I've noticed you've taken to making quite a few personal attacks on me and I did not intend to fill DaniWeb's forum with ad-hom arguments. I have stated my case multiple times and am failing to get through to you. I apologize to other forum members here, it was never my intention to turn this thread into an argument about how EQ's licensing works- more to discuss the principle itself.

If another user from this forum wouldn't mind taking the time to look at the chart (http://www.electricquilt.com/Shop/EQ6/EQ6activations.asp) and provide your input, please do so. I think anyone working in the IT field will find it quite clear.

In fact, if a forum moderator would be willing to do this and then simply close the thread, I would be pleased with that as well. I trust any moderator at this site could make the call from looking at that chart and put an end to this arguing. (I'm not sure what Daniweb's tolerance for threads like this is).

Regards,

-tek

If another user from this forum wouldn't mind taking the time to look at the chart (http://www.electricquilt.com/Shop/EQ6/EQ6activations.asp) and provide your input, please do so. I think anyone working in the IT field will find it quite clear.

Regards,

-tek

At second glance (http://techfettish.wordpress.com/2007/12/27/examining-the-ambiguity-of-electric-quilts-eq6-activation-policy/) I can see the chart can easily be misinterpreted. To me it seems obvious but ILikeEQ's quoting the first line got realizing exactly how much ambiguity there is in the chart. I have spoke with EQ and stand by what I stated in the first place.

Regarding the original topic of this thread, it does not seem that there are other programs using this exact licensing scheme. I'm glad to learn that but the lack of a term to identify it and the ambiguity of that chart sure makes it a challenge to discuss.

Regards,

-tek

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.