I finally bit the bullet and bought an iBook G4 with OS X v10.5.4 installed but no CDs. I have been using a G3 PB Wallstreet with OS 9.2 and 10.2.3 running. But mostly I've been a PCer like forever...and using XP SP2.
My dilemma: all my MAC S/W is on the G3 which has an IR capability but no Firewire. The G4 has Firewire but no IR....The PC has a Firewire card and a DVD burner with an open, available Firewire port.
Anyone have any idea of a way to xfer my stuff from the G3 to the G4 ???
tks,
johnd

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Your Ethernet card works on the PowerBook, does it not?

Your Ethernet card works on the PowerBook, does it not?

Yes...is it possible to link the PB and iB via ethernet???

>Yes...is it possible to link the PB and iB via ethernet???
You bet. Get yourself a crossover Ethernet cable (straight-through might work as well) and hook them up to each other.

Next, on the PowerBook go to System Preferences->Networking, and assign the Ethernet adapter a manual address of 192.168.0.1, with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, leaving the other fields blank. Hit 'apply'. Next, go to System Preferences->Sharing, and enable File Sharing.

Head over to your iBook and go back to System Preferences->Networking, this time assigning the Ethernet a manual address of 192.168.0.2, the subnet mask remaining the same, 255.255.255.0. Finally, click anywhere on the desktop and hit Command (Apple) - K. This will bring up the Connect To Server window. In it, enter 192.168.0.1 and hit okay. It should prompt you to enter your username/password, and then it'll let you choose the volumes to mount.

OK great...I'll go out and get a cable on Tuesday and give it a shot. Thank you.
BTW:
I have 2 PCs on a router running DSL. I thought to get an ethernet cable and connect the iBook to the router......will any of this mess up my 2 PC connections on the router?
johnd

>will any of this mess up my 2 PC connections on the router?
I doubt it.

Another option is to transfer the files over WiFi. On the PowerBook, click on the wireless icon in the menubar, and create a new network (without encryption). Then go to the iBook and in the wireless menu you should see the network you created. Connect to it. Finally, go to System Preferences on both laptops and setup the Airport cards the same way that I said to set up the Ethernet cards, and you should be able to use Connect To Server to share files between the two computers.

tks, but I don't have a WiFi setup. I'll go w/enet.

johnd

>will any of this mess up my 2 PC connections on the router?
I doubt it.

Another option is to transfer the files over WiFi. On the PowerBook, click on the wireless icon in the menubar, and create a new network (without encryption). Then go to the iBook and in the wireless menu you should see the network you created. Connect to it. Finally, go to System Preferences on both laptops and setup the Airport cards the same way that I said to set up the Ethernet cards, and you should be able to use Connect To Server to share files between the two computers.

John A:
OK, I went out and bought a crossover enet cable...plugged in to both machines, then started both machines...(G3 first cuz it takes forever) then proceeded per your instructions. When it came to the sharing part, I had a number of choices: i.e., personal file sharing, windows sharing, personal web sharing, FTP, Remote access, Apple something or other...I chose personal file sharing...the two would not communicate with one another, I chose windows file sharing...same thing. I tried both personal and windows together...nada. I went and cleared everything and started over this time I stopped the Classic environment from starting tried everything including remote access still would not connect got an error #36 in the failed to connect dialogue.
suggestions?
johnd

Yes, I'm sorry, I meant Personal File Sharing. Can you at least get a ping between the two machines? On one of the machines, open Terminal from Applications/Utilities. At the prompt, type

ping -c 10 192.168.0.1

and hit return, where '192.168.0.1' is the IP address of the other computer. If the connection is working, you should receive 10 packets.

OK I'll give that a try.
BTW, a straight thru enet cable (Cat6) won't work. Machine sez enet cable is unplugged.
Also: I never got a request for name or password. when I hit "Apple K" i immediately got a request to connect...when I clicked on connect is when I got all the no connect messages.
johnd

Yes, I'm sorry, I meant Personal File Sharing. Can you at least get a ping between the two machines? On one of the machines, open Terminal from Applications/Utilities. At the prompt, type

ping -c 10 192.168.0.1

and hit return, where '192.168.0.1' is the IP address of the other computer. If the connection is working, you should receive 10 packets.

OK:
I did the ping from the ib to the pb (pb is 192.168.0.1) sent 10 packets and received 10 packets.
I did the ping from the pb to the ib (used 192.168.0.2) sent 10 packets got none back.

I stated at the beginning of this that I have just bought this used ib. I changed the password but I keep running into other names.... at the end of the ib ping is a line that reads:
"John-DiProfios-computer-2:~sweetheart of the rodeo"
at the end of the pb ping the same line reads:
"John-DiProfios-computer:2] johndiprofio%

Could this be the problem? In any case how do I get rid of miss sweetheart etc???
johnd
BTW can I drag over OS9.2 while I'm at if I ever get this to work? Will I need a new partition on my hdd?
j

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.