I'm am a 44 year old male & due to a work related injury I am unable to work but am trying to plan for my future. I have a very messed up lower back. I don't know which way to go as far as the information technoloy field. I thought I would learn about reparing computers & troubeshooting. I also thought of learning computer programming but not sure if one can learn it on their own .I would appreciate suggestions.. I did buy a Cd that was suppose to teach one C & C++ computer programming at ww.comptersciencelab.com . But the Cd seems to be very vague to me for somoeone who never programed in their life. I don't know if the Cd is just not for me or one needs an instructor to learn about C & C++ programing. The CD starts out with the history of computers then goes into RPN calcualtors etc. It just seemed to me that it wan't I was looking for or not well written. Perhaps it more involved then I thought. I'm not sure. I had worked as a radiological technologist & nuclear medicine technologist for 20 years. I would appreciate any advice as which literature or materials that is for free or to buy does a good job of teaching computer programing or related path to take .Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

I would suggest learn a very basic language like Basic or Pascal to get into groove of programming to start of with then move to more complex languages like C and C++, one can easily learn any language on internet. I learnt html, java, php and sql all from different online tutors available. Wish you good luck with your future.

There are many areas you can do other then programming in IT, that would not require you to stress your back.

Helpdesk support, Application training, webmaster, graphics designer, and so on.

You can start at any one of these paths and not require some major training investments.

I would not suggest a career in programming. I'm a programmer, and have seen the field dramatically polarize. Either you'll need to be a PHD working at Microsoft, or a low-wage employee working at a giant outsourcing company.

For someone in the middle, like me, the field is shrinking and shrinking, and wages are dropping dramatically.

Programming in the "developed" world is fast becoming a cottage industry, with small groups (1 or 2 people) providing custom solutions for small to mid-size private companies.

If I were starting over today, I'd look at networking (routers, servers, cabling), since that is fast growing and will transition to optical soon.

On the other hand, small town, local "computer handy-man" has a market: someone who can install a new DVD drive, show you how to use eBay, and remove all the spyware you dumped on your system.

I wish you well.

I would not suggest a career in programming. I'm a programmer, and have seen the field dramatically polarize. Either you'll need to be a PHD working at Microsoft, or a low-wage employee working at a giant outsourcing company.

This is very much true.

If I were starting over today, I'd look at networking (routers, servers, cabling), since that is fast growing and will transition to optical soon.

Networking, although sounds very promising, has a high barrier to entry. You will be required more training then as a programmer, and the networking training does not stop.

Once you learn a programming language, then master it, there is not much more to "learn" (yes, there is always new algorithms, methodologies, etc.), but the language itself is stable.

Networking is just the opposite. The development is non-stop and there is always new things an individual needs to learn, or face extinction.

Does anyone remember ARCNet, how about Token Ring, LANtastic, Novell, Vines (and these are the big names)? Those were hot items in networking "recently". We had to know it inside and out. Today you will be hard pressed to find someone who can identify half of these past technologies.

The point is, you might not have to learn the historical technologies in networking, but I guarantee you that if you want to keep your job in networking, and make a decent living, you better be prepaired to pick up at least two or three new technology related knowledge a year.

On the other hand, small town, local "computer handy-man" has a market: someone who can install a new DVD drive, show you how to use eBay, and remove all the spyware you dumped on your system.

This is very true. Such niche can be had, and potentially gain local business contracts. Expanding into web development and such would further enhance your local guru status. :)

which is the best field for specialization?programming,web designing,networking,database,software engineering?i m confused about that
plz suggest

which is the best field for specialization?programming,web designing,networking,database,software engineering?i m confused about that
plz suggest

Hi,

I agreed with you. Any way, your ideal make me thinking about some thing for my project.

Please try to keep posting. Tks and best regards

im doing my 3rd year engineering ...i need help in making my project related to dbms....any kind of mini project will do for me...basicly i need in sql lanquage ...so plzzz if any one help me in that ...give some advice or any kind help...

There are lots of field in IT sector like designing ,programming,testing,database designing main thing is that in which you are interested Select according to your interest and try to learn that and you can learn on the net its provide tutorial for every thing.

Hi,

I agreed with you. Any way, your ideal make me thinking about some thing for my project.

Please try to keep posting. Tks and best regards

Apart from that, this link below may be useful: Web interview questions

hi,,,,,,,,,i am completting my study of post graduates in msc it,,,but i dont interest in the field of programming so give me some advice related to it fields,,that better than progrmming,,i am waiting for your reply??give me some advice as soon as possible??

hi..........i just completed my msc it but i dn't hv any idea what to do bcz i think m not gud in programming so give me some idea what to do

MSC in what dishadave?

On the basis of 20 years of experince in the technological field I would like to suggest you to go for Networking field rather than Programming in which you can utilize your experience too. You may a certification course in Networking from CISCO which is a demanding and approved course in industyr. For more details you may follow the link below:

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/community/it_careers/start_career

hi my name is angelina.
i am studying INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY in malaysia. i need to choose my major is information system security is good a field for girls ?

Hello Angelina,

Security is a great field for anyone that has an interest in that field. There is plenty of opportunity in that area regardless of your gender.

If that is something you are interested in, I see no reason why you shouldn't pursue your goals and objectives.

Hey.Im JB.i just wanna ask whats the best specialization for me in information technology.My 2 choices are Animation and game development and th other one is Web and Mobile Application Development.Actually Im not a gamer anymore and most of the students on animation and game development I mean all are gamers and addicts on computer and it so awkward that Im not.I also realize that if I chose AGD i will be a gamer again and all my life will be games games and games but really want to create a game and my second choice is Web and mobile application development.If I choose this,It is more easy to me to study it what I mean is I cant explain but It is okay with me to choose this.No awkward moments.So can you advice me this thing.Thank you.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.