happygeek 2,411 Most Valuable Poster Team Colleague Featured Poster

Inventor of the Web, Sir Tim Berners-Lee, has been speaking out in favour of Net Neutrality at the 15th World Wide Web conference in Edinburgh, Scotland this week. For once, my spin on the issue doesn’t matter. What the man who created the Web thinks does, so I’ll leave the rest of this brief posting up to him via excerpts from his opening speech:

"It's better and more efficient for us all if we have a separate market where we get our connectivity, and a separate market where we get our content. Information is what I use to make all my decisions. There is an effort by some companies in the US to change this. In Europe, Net neutrality is the rule."

"What's very important from my point of view is that there is one web, anyone that tries to chop it into two will find that their piece looks very boring."

While warning against the dangers of creating a dark net, Sir Tim remained upbeat that the Internet itself would strongly resist any attempt at fragmentation, concluding "I think it is one and will remain as one."