GuyClapperton 12 Staff Writer

That was quick, but I suppose it would be. Readers might have heard that while America has had the Lehmann Brothers crisis, we've had our own little meltdown in the UK and two of our banks, HBOS and Lloyds, have decided to merge.

And they've been Cybersquatted.

Now, this can be a mightily funny thing. A few years ago, consultancy PriceWaterhouseCoopers decided to rename part of its operation as 'Monday'. It therefore registered the domain 'Introducingmonday.com' - and forgot to acquire 'Introducingmonday.co.uk'. The people who bought it (a satire group called B3ta) did a fine job of putting a stupid song entitled 'we've got your name, la la la' onto it alongside some pictures of donkeys dancing.

That, I freely admit, I found hysterical. Maybe you had to be there, but the thought of this corporation spending so much on its identity and then falling at a really basic hurdle really did amuse.

This time it's different. A new organisation thrown together by a crisis was never going to have had the time to consider every little ramification and name wrinkle (which is why the PWC thing was funny - it was easy to avoid). This is simple opportunism and I have a feeling it's illegal.

Whether the banks are having a hard time or not, I'll look forward to seeing how this one pans out if it gets to the courts.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.