I'M a single parent, 24, and I have a full time job in a factory. That's pretty much killed any change for me to go back to school. I love the computer field and I've been playing around with C# and Python for a little bit and I'M also a new comer to Linux via Ubuntu.
I would really love to get a job in the IT community and out of my current manufacturing environment. I would love some advice on fields and training that would be fisable to me. Thus far all I have is a GED and I just got a Certification of Completion for Introductory to C# (unaccredited) $90 from a local collage through this web site SNIP
I'M interested in Programming, A+, Network+, & Security +, Server Admin, Database Admin, Linux Admin. Not that I know a lot about any of those. I doubt that one little certification will get me far. And if it did I don't think I would be able to hold on to that job. I've found several other sites as well with online training in the fields mentioned above. Some were as lows as $200 to $3500.
There's also SNIP
I've found a lot more but I've got them on my Windows partition.

Those are my interest although I don't know what would be the best rout to take. I have just a little self taught programming experience via the Internet and Books-A-Million/Amazon.com. I would love some input as to what I should get into. Please give me some advice from different perspectives. Not only how much money I could make but, what's would be the fastest and easiest rout.

Thanks for any and all replies.

I really admire your ambition. I have always had trouble learning any programming stuff without a good teacher who assigns problems or projects that are known (by the teacher) to force the student to use certain techniques or constructs. The successive assignment of a few of these projects result in the student being forced to learn enough to work in the language. You may well be more able than I am to use a book which assigns problems as I described the teacher doing above. Maybe you should go to Amazon and look for used books (i.e., cheap) to learn what you need, one thing at a time.

I do think you are expecting to become competent in too many areas too soon. Maybe you can start to learn to program in one language OR learn database admin (really somewhat different things I think). My experience (pretty long ago) was that as soon as I got pretty good at something, it got replaced by a different technique and I had to learn that. Not too hard to do because the employer would provide the training.

I doubt you can learn enough about all those areas above to ever get a job so, I think you need to look for what kind of jobs are available at entry or mid lever and see those skill requirements. Then you can address one of those skills for starters.

Or, you can see a recruiter for the military (USAF probably) and see what they will guarantee (in writing!) you in the way of schools if you enlist.

I hope some others read this reply and give you some different ideas. Good luck to you.

Paul

Thanks. Although I'M not trying to learn all that at one. I'M asking for advice on which one would be best, form different perspectives. Which one make the most money, and which of those fields is the easiest and quickest to enter, ext ext.

As to which would make you the most money, I would say that the field which has more future would make you the most money. As I implied in my previous post above, no matter what you start in, it will surely have changed dramatically in, say, ten years. Further, you will surely have found a different, more interesting area to learn enough about to make that your field of expertise.

From my perspective, but maybe not yours, I would say that one of the most important factors in your choice is what you are interested in. If you love to write database applications, then firmware code for small chips may not be a good career choice. YOU have to get some experience and some of that comes through taking courses.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.