Hi,
I'm hoping someone here can give me some insight. I'm looking to do some more Microsoft accreditation and am looking at exam 70-342. There are 2 main books on the topic:
Mcts Self paced training kit - the official MS press book and
The real MCTS Sql Server 2008 exam prep it

I've read disturbing things about both of them (poor choice of subject questions, plain wrong and incorrect material, doesn't cover the right topics) and wonder if anyone has personal experience with either or both of them. I've used the MS press books for other exams and found them lacking compared to the exam cram series which I thought were excellent.

Anybody used these books to study (and pass) the exams?

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

No, certifications are worthless, especially Microsoft certifications.

From a experience point of view possibly but employers still value them on a CV

No they don't. Not ones you'd want to work for.

No they don't. Not ones you'd want to work for.

Really? Lots of companies like them on the CV/resume. Were you bitten by a certification as a child?

Just curious... :)

He just thinks they have no value. In every interview I haven been on my MCAD has generated conversation and been well received. But, maybe these aren't really companies I would want to work for...

He just thinks they have no value. In every interview I haven been on my MCAD has generated conversation and been well received. But, maybe these aren't really companies I would want to work for...

Yeah, I do understand. I work with guys who swear certs have no value. yet they got their job and retained them due to getting and maintaining/upgrading those certs. They just don't like having to pay for them, especially when they feel like they already know everything they need to know.

There is no certification without a value. Apart from the certificate itself, there is always something new to learn.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.