Hi there

What do you think about Dell servers? Are they good? How reliable are they?

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

Currently using Dell servers and managed over 20 of them in a previous job. They are good boxes, easy to work with and upgrade. Very reliable hardware.

How easy is it to get its components? (I`m from South Africa) Do you know how their service are?

Dell has some of the best corporate service available. The units are easy to work on and certification can be obtained easily on-line. I have worked with segveral brands of servers/workstations and Dell ranks up there with HP.

How easy is it to get its components? (I`m from South Africa) Do you know how their service are?

I do believe Dell have very decent South African support. In fact, I think their overall African presence is pretty good. I remember writing a proposal for a Ghanian re-insurance company based around a local Dell dealer way back in 1997 and they're still going strong now.

My only concern with Dell is their sales department, but generally the quality of hardware components is second to none.

M.

Yea I work with one and it is very easy to use. It is a Dell PowerEdge 2800 server. It is extremely reliable and Dell's service is good.

Overall, i think Dell has very good service in all fields of their company!!!:cheesy:

we have a new Dell sever here. It makes a very sturdy seat. And its even better when you have Dell optiplex gx270's in a pile next to it to use as a footrest.

My only concern with Dell is their sales department, but generally the quality of hardware components is second to none.

M.

Ha ha funny man you make me laugh. I would have to say dell have the worst quality and least reliable hardware components out there. they are ok if you only keep your computers for 1-2 years but apart from that they overheat, capacitors leak and ooze stuff and they fail all the time.

My company currently has over 100 Dell servers. Ranging from small 1650/1750s up to 6650s. Our primary server is pretty much the 2850. If you have proper cooling in your Data Center, you shouldn't have heat issues. We generally don't have any issues with the hardware. It's decent hardware at really good prices. Their support is contracted out (no surprise there) and you'll generally get a local company that is out there representing Dell. Dealing with their phone support isn't always the greatest. If spend the couple hundred bucks and get yourself certified online you can just skip their phone support, order the parts online and have a tech come in and part swap. Thats pretty much what we do.

Hope this info is helpful to ya.

Dell servers are easy to configure and spares are reasonably generic and hence cheap... BUT (well, ok, 2 BUT's):

a) I find them slower than the equivalently-rated Hp or IBMs. Dell seem happy to put in lower-spec processors (most often with less cache) than the other players, and have been known to fit motherboard components which take poorly to having add-on cards put in the slots (yes, really! Even on the modern machines!)

b) I've had a good few RAID failure on all types of server. my overall experience has been that Dells will occasionally spit out the whole array when drive 0 of a RAID 5 dies. This is NOT what RAIDs are supposed to do! If you come from a Proliant background, this failure mode is a bit of a shock.

we had DELL SERVER SMP-300 we had a problem to define the hard disk storage
we use 2X300GBytes SAS

I am working on it and it works smoothly and durable also.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.