This is a two parter question:

Which web browser clients do you design your sites to be compatible with?

Which web browser client do you use personally when online?

OK, so make that a three parter:

Does anyone here not develop sites with IE in mind?

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

I design for IE. I make sure it's always 100% compatible with FireFox. I'm still an IE fan, folks. Sorry. However, I have to admit, that some things do look a little funky in FireFox 1.0 that I haven't bothered to deal with since they're fine in 1.5. I know I should, but I'm not one for spending lots of time making this backwards compatible, especially when it's free software and everytime you open FireFox 1.0 you get a nag screen to upgrade.

Does Opera even reach your outer radar? The latest version was released this week, Opera 9, but I really can't help but wonder what validity it has in the marketplace given the dominance of IE and FireFox mopping up the open source browser brigade.

Tried it in the past. Not a fan at all - of the interface or its html rendering abilities. I've found it's not even worth using it to test the DaniWeb layout in because it accounts for such a small percentage of users, not to mention the fact that there have been too many times when it hasn't followed the W3C standard.

Firefox!! If it is compatible with Firefox, it will certainly be compatible with IE. IE is way more forgivable than Firefox.

Firefox!! If it is compatible with Firefox, it will certainly be compatible with IE. IE is way more forgivable than Firefox.

just make sure you don't use semitransparent png files, activex components, various css techniques...

(epiphany user)

Member Avatar for iamthwee

just make sure you don't use semitransparent png files, activex components, various css techniques...

(epiphany user)

Good point, I always prefer .gif files over transparent png files.

Of course, this is no guarantee that things will work well in IE just because you wrote it for firefox. Nonsense. :lol:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.