Hi All,

I'm wondering if anyone knows of any good sites that offer free tutorials for kids (he's 11) on just learning the basics about Windows, Word, Excel, IE, OE etc.

I'm not an MS person, but I want him to start somewhere.

I'd like to give him one lesson to do a day.

The computer teacher at his school hasn't really taught him anything all year.

Can you please PM me.

Thanks & have a great wknd. :)

Michelle

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

I'm taking some lessons just to get credits 4 college(I know everything I'm being tought, but I need those credits), however I assume he could learn from it as well... It is fromt he 'Professer Teaches' series & teaches windows 98. It comes with a CD & 3 books, 2 books are for questions, one is the answer key, and the CD has the main learning stuff... it shows A windows that looks like windows 98 & goes through the steps of what a program is, what the title bar is, how shortcut menus are context-sensitive(they change depending on where you click) what shortcuts really are, what folders are, how to navigate via the windows explorer, it also teaches how to print & some other stuff. It is put pretty well, if you ask me. However some of the stuff, such as installing new hardware(for the printer) might be beyond him, even though it is all just 'simulated' on the WIndows98-like screen. There is another miniature window Inside the large one that goes through the steps... everything you do must be said by the little tutor-window... it might be what you are looking for.

Edit: I forgot to say this earlier: The rest of the series goes through Access, word, powerpoint, and several other programs you mentioned as well.

- Natso:cool:

It's 2004. Learning computing on Windows98 is futile in my eyes because you would need to re-learn everything for Win2000/XP. Hmm...

There isn't THAT much difference between 98 & XP... anyway they have tutors for 200 & XP as well, just that I work on a 98 mostly so I decided to get that course instead.

Personally, I'd just buy the For Dummies series of books.

True story: When I was 11, I actually picked up Macintosh for Dummies at a local library. I PORED over that book, and I even checked it out several more weeks. By the time I was done reading it, I was getting called in more than my middle school's computer teacher/"tech" to fix Mac problems-- troubleshooting extensions, installing new software, everything, including OS reinstalls!

Ever since then, I've picked up a For Dummies book right off the bat for a new subject I want to learn. That was 10 years ago, I haven't been disappointed since.

Thanks everyone.

Yes he's on XP now. Where do I find these CDs & where can I get them for a good price or do you have a copy?

Thanks

Michelle

Thanks to everyone for all your help : )

Have a great Sunday !

Michelle

Honestly, the best thing you could do if you wanted him to learn that stuff would be to do it with him.

But if you want him to know how the OS reacts to things and the hardware side of things, no better place to start than buying components and assembling them with him, then installing an OS, imaging it with whatever choice you make, then putting him in front of it and letting loose. He'll break so many things and learn so much by doing it himself, it will be unbelieveable to you.

:)

I wish I had the time to teach him every little thing although I do try whenever I get a chance or money to allow him to break things LOL

I have to get him new memory b/c the system they sold us with XP on it runs like it's a 486 b/c it only has 128 MB Ram on it.

Great HP system. Get you to spend more b4 even using the computer.

Have a great wknd.

Michelle

Honestly, the best thing you could do if you wanted him to learn that stuff would be to do it with him.

But if you want him to know how the OS reacts to things and the hardware side of things, no better place to start than buying components and assembling them with him, then installing an OS, imaging it with whatever choice you make, then putting him in front of it and letting loose. He'll break so many things and learn so much by doing it himself, it will be unbelieveable to you.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.