Pepperhead 0 Newbie Poster

Recently bought a new computer after old one crashed. New one is a Dell with Intel Dual Core processor and Microsoft Windows Media Center installed. I reinstalled my Office 2000 Premium software and am trying to update it. When I click to scan for needed updates, it stops after scanning about 40%, then says "Office Update unable to check for updates." It gives several reasons...the one making the most sense is "You installed Office Update in the past and then upgraded from Windows Installer V. 1.0 to Version 1.1." Other reason given that may be valid is "Windows Installer patch files (.MSP files) from previously applied Office updates are missing from the \Windows\Installer hidden directory on your computer. MSP files are stored on your computer after update installation completes because they need to be referenced for future update operations. If the files are missing you will not be able to apply Office updates. You may also be unable to uninstall Office products as a result of the same problem." Anyone have any recommendations? I had this running fine on my old computer. Thanks.