Hi,
Can anyone give a 100-word or less overview of the top 2 or 3 IDEs in use today, and especially, what are the pros and cons of each? Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks in advance!
John (over 50 but still feisty!)

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

If you're a beginner then the cons to any IDE is tremendous. Otherwise, they are fine. Always start with the command line and learn that first before moving on.

If you're a beginner then the cons to any IDE is tremendous. Otherwise, they are fine. Always start with the command line and learn that first before moving on.

Hi Server_Crash,
Thanks! Do you mean a beginner with IDEs (which I am) or a beginner programmer (which, with 20+ yrs exp I hope I am not!) ? ?

Just with programming, unless you have no prior experience with the command line...

What language are you considering? A question asking pros and cons of certain IDE's isn't very meaningful unless it's for a specific language.

Just with programming, unless you have no prior experience with the command line...

What language are you considering? A question asking pros and cons of certain IDE's isn't very meaningful unless it's for a specific language.

DUH :) Do I feel stupid ? ? ?

Well, we use a mixed environment, including some C++/Unix, some Java/Linux, and some C#/ASP.

So I guess the real question is, which IDE, if any, is best for each environment ? Most of our programmers are guys like me,
old-timers who would really prefer not to use all this new-fangled stuff: a good text-editor and a good debugger is all anybody really needs :) (Half-kidding/half-serious)

Seriously, my ideal IDE who be easy to learn, easy to install, would not require a bunch of finicky configuring-ballyhoo, would not cramp my coding style too much, but would do the mundane work of including needed libraries, warn about stupid mistakes like unused variables, etc. Does that make my vagueness a little less vague.

Thanks Again!

John in Washington DC

Any .NET language would obviously go to Visual Studio.NET. For Java I really don't have a favorite. Personally, I like using JEdit and the command line while working in Java. It's a little more work, but when you get use to something like that you don't want to change. As for C++, I use bloodshed. It's probably my favorite to use. It is an IDE and it doesn't quit indent code correctly so you're forced to edit the text a little.

I guess it all boils down to personal preference. Person A might like Borland products, while person B really likes using the command line. Really the only advise I can give is to try a bunch of them and form your own opinion.

Any .NET language would obviously go to Visual Studio.NET. For Java I really don't have a favorite. Personally, I like using JEdit and the command line while working in Java. It's a little more work, but when you get use to something like that you don't want to change. As for C++, I use bloodshed. It's probably my favorite to use. It is an IDE and it doesn't quit indent code correctly so you're forced to edit the text a little.

I guess it all boils down to personal preference. Person A might like Borland products, while person B really likes using the command line. Really the only advise I can give is to try a bunch of them and form your own opinion.

Thanks very much ! for your answers and your patience :)

Take care,
John :)

i like visual studio, its ide is consistent between all of its languages and the documentation is great.

I got a student deal - visual basic 2003 standard and microsofts vb step by step book all for £100 - the software is worth that alone and its like a £40 boook on its own

Comes with sample cd, msdn libary etc..... and an eboook version

Try Tierdeveloper from Alachisoft! because you can dvelop complex object oriented applications in 50% less time with TierDeveloper. Save time without compromising on quality of your code. TierDeveloper is an object to relational mapping (O/R mapping) code generation tool that lets you map and generate well designed .NET business and data objects. TierDeveloper also generates custom ASP.NET and Windows Forms apps.

The Latest feature to be added to version 5.5 include Form Designer. It lets you design custom forms that are connected to your mapped objects. This lets you quickly develop your applications GUI without having to figure out how to connect your objects layer to your presentation layer. Forms Designer uses .NET 2.0 custom controls and there is no code generation.

Download 60 days free trial: http://www.alachisoft.com/rp.php?source=/daniwb.news8/&dest=/download.html

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.