forumster 0 Newbie Poster

The hype seems to be creating an online user interactive website. I'm planning (very keen) of having a website built for me for a specific expat.

I want a website that has forums like this with topics that obviously relate to theirs. But in a way a bit like a social networking as such that they can link up with their friends/families from their homeland. .

Can you guide me through on how i can explain this to a web developer/designer. I quite like the appeal of bebo.com (although at a smaller scale) and this website daniweb.com rocks. Its fantastically laid out forum. Brilliant.

If i want like pics and videos in my site, is it better to just use/link from youtube or another or better if its built in/hosted/streamed in your site?

Whats the cost implication in building such a website? I know it can cost as high as i want to but a reasonable range that will make the website both functional and pleasantly appealing to potential visitors.

Monthly hosting cost? What streaming host will you recommend if i have to have vids/audio in my site?

Maintenance? I have to say i'm not really a computer tech person, im in a medical field. But i just found a gap in this field that i thought i can initiate doing. And im quite keen to learn

All advices/suggestions recommendations greatly appreciated.

sorry if i posted it in the wrong place