hello,
my final year project is to make a web application for a discussion forum for a university environment. i am about to submit my requirement specification document.
i guess the context diagram for this system will have three actors,
1- Students.....who post questions
2- Moderators/ Instructors...... who reply to posts
3- Administrators.......takes overall care

can someone please tell me the difference in privileges of a moderator and an administrator in such an environment, how do i show these two actors in my context diagram. my project supervisor is not satisfied with my system diagram as yet, need to improve.

regards,
nemo

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Here's how the forum hierarchy is organized on DaniWeb (some things have been purposely left out):

Admin -> Has complete control over the forum. They tend to handle things such as technical details of running it, as well as high-level issues and other stuff.

Super-Mod -> Kind of like the duties of a regular moderator, except that they have control over all forums. Their main goal is for the general well-being of the forum. Think of them as supervisors over other moderators.

Moderator -> Take care of low-level issues that come in the specific forums where they have expertise in. They do things such as snipping profanity, deleting spam, infracting/banning people. They also do a lot of helping for other people with their problems.

Regular Member -> Asks questions, helps other members out. Has the potential to become a moderator if they prove themselves knowledgeable enough.

So in terms of your diagram, I'd say you need to specify that moderators take care of the more low-level tasks. Another key thing to remember is that moderators don't have power over every forum, only the ones that they have expertise in.

Thanks, i hadn't thought about the super moderator, this is a nice feature and i am keeping it too. still will keep things simple so that i am sure i can make it in the end.

any idea what algorithm to use for scheduling? though i havn't reached the design stage but would welcome comment on it.

hey thanx for the information
its is very helpful for the assignments

i think both admin nd moderator can help u a lott

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.