I'm learning ASP.NET now :-/
People said it's no difference betwen PHP and ASP.NET
I personally prefer the way C# works in the flow of my code :D

Recommended Answers

All 17 Replies

I've used ASP (not dot net) and PHP and much prefered PHP.

I use PHP5 and don't see a need for anything else at this point.

English mostly, some Spanish. Occasionally I'll spout complete gibberish :) ..... Oh! you mean programing language!

Right now C# mostly. Ah the framework it's like Duplo bricks for windows. You can knock up a towering bloated edifice in minutes! I love it me.

Javascript. Actually ECMAScript but were already confused enough. It's like: What type is that variable now? it's a number, no it's a DOM element, oh bugger it's undefined! An error occured on some non existent line; object expected. (It has to say object cos it's got no frikin' idea what to expect!)

I Like PHP a lot, especially after Zend figured out why terms like 'codepage' and 'unicode' exist.

But perl will just never be beaten for scripting those tiresome tasks.

I have used both PHP and ASP. Personally, I prefer PHP much better. Things are easier in PHP than in ASP.

English mostly, some Spanish. Occasionally I'll spout complete gibberish :) ..... Oh! you mean programing language!

WOW! Finally you understand!!! GOOD JOB USA!!! or.. ENGLAND!!!?? :D

Why is PHP better anyway? I don't think I see difference other than that PHP is open source and can be used any server, that's all. I think both of them are the same thing, I'm planning to do JSP soon :D

ASP.NET doesnt run on linux (if it can then its rare) which runs like 60% of all web servers

and of all the windows web servers very few offer ASP.NET 2, most of them offer classic ASP and a few offer ASP.NET 1.1

it is much more hard and expensive to find an ASP.NET 2.0 host than a PHP one

it is much more hard and expensive to find an ASP.NET 2.0 host than a PHP one

can you give me proof on this? I found it the same thing... :)

ASP.NET doesnt run on linux (if it can then its rare) which runs like 60% of all web servers

I thought mono could run ASP.NET ?

I think ASP.NET can run on Linux using Chilisoft.

I think ASP.NET can run on Linux using Chilisoft.

I don't think so. Chilisoft ASP will run classic ASP pages written with VBScript, but not ASP.NET pages.

I had a search about and I can't find anything about Chilisoft ASP supporting ASP.NET web applications.

I don't think so. Chilisoft ASP will run classic ASP pages written with VBScript, but not ASP.NET pages.

I had a search about and I can't find anything about Chilisoft ASP supporting ASP.NET web applications.

Yup, i've done a search and you're right. ASP.NET is apparantly Windows only technology.

told you so

XHTML & PHP must admit im taking a liking to Ruby on Rails too

just doing asp.net now. used php over the years.

I love PHP, now it's time to take a large breath before submerge myself in Java struts/spring. I like more open platforms and code with long long life and not much microsoft.

...Perl kicks PHP's scrawny unmanageable a$$... But both are inperfect for different reasons.

C++ is rule for web applications; not easy to use admitadly, it doesn't natively have the text manipulation features of Perl, nor the huge library of builtin nonsensically named functions as PHP, but if you're gonna write in a language that gets more and more C++-like with every release ( i.e. PHP ), you may aswell write in a language that can be compiled.. Zend is written in C++, and adds effecively nothing to the language apart from an additional layer of interpretation, and the aforementioned set of builtin functions; which are afforded ( better ! ) by third-party C++ libraries. At least Perl doesn't look like, or try to emulate weakly typed C++.

If you have a choice, write in C++ with XML libraries and a database library; or Java, which has both in the standard library. All the 'mixing HTML with server app code' functionality as afforded by PHP, ASP, and also Perl and others, is overated at best, and a manageability nightmare at worst.

Just my opinion, of course..

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.