I've just looked up my homework and found that that I had to do a Project/Presentation on Microsoft .NET Development Tools and my sub-topic happens to be Visual C++. While doing research about it, I found out about Managed C++ and the recent advanced version C++/CLI by Microsoft.

I know Managed Extensions for C++ is just used to expose the .NET framework functionalities to C++. It's also adds the Garbage Collector Class __gc. But I heard it's now no longer in use.

C++/CLI could be counted as a new programming language cause the syntax is similar to C#. It also introduced the inclusion of ^ handlers, I think. and syntax change. Anyways, I'm wondering if the mscorlib.dll file, which was in Managed C++ still being used here? What functions does this file add to C++ program? System namesapace contains the Console::WriteLine() function, so it's not related to the file.

I'm only gonna use simple programs to explain the concept, cause it's only going to be an introduction from my part, featuring only the important parts of these. So for sure a Hello World! example will make me look stupid, since it's not much different in both syntax. I also need some good working examples for both MC++ and C++/CLI, which I'm trying to search.

There is also one thing that confuses me a lot. In most of the tutorials about C++/CLI and also some in MC++, I've seen them using _tmain(). I'm not sure about it. I've tried it in the VC++ and also the CMD compiler, but gives error. All I know for sure is that in C++ you have to have a main() function, any other shouldn't work.

If you have any good sites or info, related to the above, please give a link or mention it in your reply. I don't want tutorials to those. I'm not learning those languages (for now ^_~, maybe in future I might) I just want to know what makes it different from the native C++ and the new functionality.

I think I'm gonna have a nervous breakdown during the presentation. Argh! I'm really not at all good at talking and especially in front of people. >_> doesn't make much sense huh! But I get nervous like hell, and stammer and then forget what I should say, and end up repeating the same thing, which is really annoying >_<!

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

think I'm gonna have a nervous breakdown during the presentation. Argh! I'm really not at all good at talking and especially in front of people. >_> doesn't make much sense huh! But I get nervous like hell, and stammer and then forget what I should say, and end up repeating the same thing, which is really annoying >_<!

Take speech 101 course. Use 3x5 cards and write down major topics for discussion then use those cards during your presentation. Almost everyone gets nervous, its called Stage Fright and even the most accomplished people catch it.

>Almost everyone gets nervous, its called Stage Fright
LOL, I'm sure everyone gets too >_>, but at least they go somewhere. But that's the least of my worries for now. If I can;t figure out how to put the documentation together, I don't think there will be a presentation.

Is it okay to put this thread in the C++ forum, right? I'm not sure, cause mostly here are posts relating to programming questions and this is just about the basic introduction.

Either way, I hope I'll get some nice information out of it.

>>Is it okay to put this thread in the C++ forum, right
No, I'm moving it to the lounge because it isn't a c++ program question.

As for your main question -- sorry but I don't have any experience with CLI, so I can't answer them. I know there's a lot of free code and a couple tutorials over at www.codeproject.com.

>I know there's a lot of free code and a couple
> tutorials over at www.codeproject.com.
Yeah I have been there. I've got most of my examples from there itself. Thanks anyways.

>No, I'm moving it to the lounge
Thank you. I've never ventured in the lounge before, but hopefully here we can get more info.

>But I heard it's now no longer in use.
Managed C++ was the precursor to C++/CLI. It's still in use, but for new code you should be using C++/CLI as it's vastly improved.

>C++/CLI could be counted as a new programming
>language cause the syntax is similar to C#.
C++/CLI is a new programming language that builds on C++ and adds support for CLI.

>It also introduced the inclusion of ^ handlers, I think.
Yes, the ^ reference syntax lets you create CLI object references without worrying about ambiguity with existing C++ pointers or references.

>I'm wondering if the mscorlib.dll file, which was in Managed C++ still being used here?
mscorlib.dll is the primary assembly for the core .NET framework classes. It's still being used in C++/CLI.

>I've seen them using _tmain(). I'm not sure about it.
You need to include tchar.h. _tmain is one of Microsoft's unicode switchable types. If _UNICODE isn't defined, _tmain resolves to main, if _UNICODE is defined, _tmain resolves to wmain.

>If you have any good sites or info, related to the above,
>please give a link or mention it in your reply.
Everything in my post could have been found in MSDN.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.