i have started validating the pages on my site (i know i should have done this first, but give me a break, its my first website.. :lol: )

im using http://validator.w3.org/ to do the validating and i have 2 issues i need help with.

ok, this is what the begining of my first page looks like:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
<html>
<head>
<title>Male Pattern Baldness, Androgenetic Alopecia</title>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1">
<META NAME="keywords" CONTENT="Hair loss, Male pattern baldness, Androgenetic Alopecia">
<META NAME="description" CONTENT="Elaborate and up-to-date information about Hair loss and its possible treatment options.">
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="external.css"/>
</head>

<body>

this is the validation error i get:

Line 9, column 6: end tag for element "HEAD" which is not open

</head>

Line 11, column 5: document type does not allow element "BODY" here

<body>

if i try to move the <link rel="... line above the meta tags i also get this:

Line 6, column 72: document type does not allow element "META" here

...Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1">

apart from that i get another strange error:

Line 18, column 12: there is no attribute "HEIGHT"

<TR height="5"><TD></TD></TR>

i checked on an HTML tutorial and there IS such attribure. furthermore, i even use it a few more times and there no mention of it.

any idea why i get those errors?? :cry:

The / at the end of the link tag is an XHTML 1.0+ requirement but is not valid for earlier versions such as HTML 4.0 which is how you have defined your page.

The height attribute is implemented by browsers but is not part of the "official" standard. Browsers implement a lot of non-standard attributes and depending on the tutorial/reference site this may or may not be taken into account in the documentation depending on how aware the author is of the actual standards. Basically any non-standard attributes such as height may not be handled as you expect by all browsers - particularly those that are more compliant to the standards (which includes all version 7 browsers).

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.