I just did a link exchange with a theme related business. When I hover over my link on his page, it doesn't show my URL address in the botton left hand corner of my screen. Instead it say http://www.imperial-asllc.com/cms/Web_Links/General/Atlanta_Accounting_Firms.html

My site address is www dot Atlanta Accounting Firms dot . net

Can someone please advide. Thank you so much in addvance :)

John

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Hi,
The link they have provided is not a direct link. They have used the redirection method. The link is of no use until its a direct link. Direct link is that, when you hover it, it shows your site url as you said. If you have paid for the link, you can request them for a direct link.

Thank you so much for responding. No, it's not a paid link. I'm contacting related companies and asking for a link exchange. This is the first person that has provided me a link that looks like this.

Thank you Robdales,
John

Have you provided them a direct link? Can i see where have you provided them a link?

Also, don't rely on the hover technique to verify direct links. It is very easy to spoof this, and make it show your URL but have it link elsewhere, use rel="nofollow", use a redirect, etc.

The only way to really validate is to look at the page source, find the <a> tag used to link to your site, and check that is is direct.
Things to look for:
- The URL in the href attribute is your site, not to some redirect script.
- There is not a rel="nofollow" attribute on the <a> tag.
- There are no Javascript handlers that intercept the click (e.g., OnClick="...").

Yes Techgurus, jreseo is saying absolutely right. These are the right method to check whether its a direct link or not. But in your case the first method is applied while giving you the link.
"The URL in the href attribute is your site, not to some redirect script."
<a href="/cms/Web_Links/General/Atlanta_Accounting_Firms.html"

Instead of this url there should be your site url. If you have provided them a backlink then you can request them a direct link. And if its only a one way link the there is less chance to get a direct link to your site.

Hi Robdale,

Oh no!.... I totally took your advice. I wrote to him and told him to put in the code I provided him or the deal was off. I never provided him with a link. I was waiting to my sure the link was correct first.

Thanks,
John

Have you provided them a direct link? Can i see where have you provided them a link?

NICE!!!

It doesn't get any clearer that that. Thank you for taking the time to be VERY clear.

It's kinda strange someone would agree to do a link exchange for the purpose of building each others site up, then give you botched coding.

Thanks...you both couldn't have been any easier to understand,

John

Also, don't rely on the hover technique to verify direct links. It is very easy to spoof this, and make it show your URL but have it link elsewhere, use rel="nofollow", use a redirect, etc.

The only way to really validate is to look at the page source, find the <a> tag used to link to your site, and check that is is direct.
Things to look for:
- The URL in the href attribute is your site, not to some redirect script.
- There is not a rel="nofollow" attribute on the <a> tag.
- There are no Javascript handlers that intercept the click (e.g., OnClick="...").

The way we both have explained is very simple. We can't get any simpler than that. Anyway, you said you mailed them for the proper link. So, what was their answer? Have they corrected the link? And, that's fine if you have worked according to my advice, there is no other way you can correct the code.

They may have given you the other coding because they use a JS handler or they are somehow tracking which links get clicked the most through their software. That doesn't mean their links not going to your web site. You should also make sure of the PR level their site is before you start trading links with them. They could be a PR1 and you are a PR2 and then it wouldn't make sense to trade with them.

Many people have a misconception of link trading and link building. The percentages are low and unless it's a site with lots of relevant (to your web site) traffic, then you could be wasting your valuable time and effort.

You are absolutely right that the link they have provided is going to his website, but can it be said as a direct backlink?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.