I just read a blog entry where the blogger attempts to make the case that Big Business (he refers to corporate world) does not engage in web 2.0 for a variety of reasons. I find the whole blog to be slightly suspect and I will explain why. First, he compares the supposed non-adoption of web 2.0 to the eager adoption of CRM and ERP. This is comparing apples to oranges in my mind because CRM and ERP are more about managing your current customer base activities with a slight nod to recruiting more customers.
Web 2.0 activities are about broadening your reach and audience to attract new customers and introduce them not only to your company and your product but also your expertise and knowledge. Are there aspects of web 2.0 that your current customer base can participate in and benefit, absolutely. But you have already closed at least one deal with them and repeat business is just a matter of nurturing the relationship.

The very basis of his theory is shot because more and more big companies are adopting web 2.0 activities. If this blog was written at the very advent of Facebook and when Twitter and Linkedin were just starting to grow, I could say that the blog held more weight. But at this point the blogger is behind the times. Anyone who would like to share their thoughts, please do.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

The blogger's insights are similar to a commentary I read back in 1995 or so in which the author stated that web presence is not necessary since it will not be visited much and it is more of a nuisance than a necessity. Now, fast forward to 2009. For a business not having a web presence is a liability than a nuisance.
I wonder if that blogger you mentioned is probably plugging a future book tied to his theory and trying to gain momentum.

The blogger's insights are similar to a commentary I read back in 1995 or so in which the author stated that web presence is not necessary since it will not be visited much and it is more of a nuisance than a necessity. Now, fast forward to 2009. For a business not having a web presence is a liability than a nuisance.
I wonder if that blogger you mentioned is probably plugging a future book tied to his theory and trying to gain momentum.

I wouldn't be surprised. Web 2.0 is such fertile grounds for anyone to write a book. I was at an event focused on Web 2.0 in the Corporate world this past week in NYC where one of the panelists was singing the praises of using facebook for his company and all of their success from it. At the end of his 10 minute presentation he plugged his upcoming book, Facebook Marketing for Dummies!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.