I am looking for some clarification on keywords list.

On are real estate site that I am working on, which is the better option?

Option 1 -> City1 real estate, city 2 real estate, city 3 real estate, city1 condos, mortgage...

or

Option 2 -> City1, City2, City3, real estate, condos, mortgage ...

I have heard mixed feedback about using the same word(s) multiple times in a keyword list.

Thanks in advance for sharing

The joy of continued learning :)

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

The first version is better - much better keywords to target!! Are you talking about keyword lists for meta tags? Most search engines don't really count keyword and description meta tags with much weight anymore.

so there is no problem having certain terms like real estate listed multiple times?

Thanks for sharing!!

Where are you talking about listing them? META keywords is essentially useless so I wouldn't bother there. Personally I'd target a page at each of the phrases you want to target making sure to put the targetted phrase in your <title>, <h1> and throughout your text. Then of course you need a bunch of nicely targetted links to each of those pages. Sounds easy doesn't it? ;)

I am focused on the meta tags and also revising the titles to my site this week.

Thanks

META tags are worthless. Don't bother. <title> is the single most important on page factor as far as the big three (Google, MSN, Yahoo) search engines are concerned.

MEtadata is not that important to MSN, Yahoo and GOogle.
FOcus on a good title, h1, h2, h3, URL! with keywords, W3C standard HTML/XHTML/CSS, some keywords tuffing per page. ANd monitor the stats and see what the incoming keywords are.

It will be good to have the keywords in the title. I believe Meta tags are not considered by any seach engine.

Google and many search engines ignores the META keywords tag, so, optimising of this tag is not going to help you any with Google or other search engines.

Google seems to give weight to the title of your page. By title, I mean the text that is sandwiched between the HTML <TITLE> tags in the <HEAD> section of your web page. If you use a Web editor that automatically inserts a title like "New Page", remember to change it to some meaningful text with your keywords inside to reap the benefit of this feature.

MEtadata is not that important to MSN, Yahoo and GOogle.
FOcus on a good title, h1, h2, h3, URL! with keywords, W3C standard HTML/XHTML/CSS, some keywords tuffing per page. ANd monitor the stats and see what the incoming keywords are.

okay ... here's the tricky part ....

(1) should the site be targetting keywords / keyphrases originally "thought" to be related to the site?

OR

(2) should the site be targetting keywords / keyphrases that are bringing visitors to the site?

hehe ... =)

You want to use keywords that your page is about. If you don't:

1) You will rank poorly because your stuffed keywords don't match your content and you don't get the maximum effect for either

2) Your visitors will leave because you don't have the content they want and they won't come back (and probably have a negative view of your website to boot).

You want to use keywords that your page is about. If you don't:

1) You will rank poorly because your stuffed keywords don't match your content and you don't get the maximum effect for either

2) Your visitors will leave because you don't have the content they want and they won't come back (and probably have a negative view of your website to boot).

agreed ... precisely the point i wanted to bring out =)

BUT BUT BUT, what if the incoming KWs are bringing in much more traffic than original intended kewords? maybe should be flexible and change original keywords (or more correctly - the "phrasing" on the page) to adapt to what the viewers are "really" looking for?

:cheesy:

Or create a new page that has the exact content people are looking for. That way you still have your page aimed at your original keyword and another aimed at the new keyword. Best of both worlds. ;)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.