I just got word that Google bought Urchin, our favorite Apache log analyzer. Does anyone have any details about this?

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Oh no!!!!! What's going to happen to it... maybe they'll make it free but report all the stats back to google to better serve ads?!?! That'd be ok in my book :) As long as it made me more money from adsense!!!

Hehe :) That would actually scare me ... since Urchin is not a hosted service but rather you run it on your own server, I'd be leery of a software application I install that is data mining and then calling home to daddy with the results.

As long as it isn't calling microsoft or macromedia... I don't care :)

Google acquires Urchin Software

Courtesy: THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. -- Google Inc. said late Monday it has agreed to acquire Urchin Software Corp., which makes software to help companies analyze the traffic at their Web sites.

Thousands of Internet sites use products from San Diego-based Urchin to help better understand their users' experiences and track the performance of advertisements and other aspects of visits to Web sites. Google expects the service will help Web sites increase their advertising returns.

Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

"This technology will be a valuable addition to Google's suite of advertising and publishing products," Jonathan Rosenberg, Google's vice president of product management said in a statement announcing the deal.

Mountain View-based Google said it anticipates the deal will close by the end of April.

Thanks there Avi :) I'm actually on the phone with my tech guy working on Urchin right now - unsuccessfully trying to get some geostats information. Looks like Urchin isn't even capable of telling me how many UK visitors I serve per day! Dare I say .... Google HELP! :)

I'd take a look at mine, but I can't hit port 8080 from work :(

Chris, you were right! Urchin can tell me detialed geostats information via their e-commerce module, an $800 add-on *cringe*

Hi, do you think this will hurt Clicktracks, Webtrends, etc. in terms of market share and their ability to compete with Google/Urchin?

Heard of them but never tried them. Therefore I really can't comment.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.