Hi All
I've got an interesting problem. A site of mine (sorry I've just seen that no links are allowed so I've removed it) has been on-line for about 2 years now but simply won't come up on a google search and yet comes up in position 1 page 1 of yahoo for various search terms.
I could understand if it came up lower down the orders but it doesn't (and hasn't) come up at all.
A site:xxx search brings up the site but even very specific searches (like all of the home page url except the 'k' of 'xxx.co.uk') doesn't bring it up, nor does a search for the exact home page title or description.
At first I thought it might have been penalised for something or other but as that usually last for up to a couple of months or so it should not affect it now. The site has been given a page rank 2 by google.
I have various other sites which are similar in build (but not content) which do well in all search engines but this one is just a mystery to me.
If anyone can spot what's going on then please, please tell me.
Many thanks
PS [I'll probably need to let someone know the site name at some stage so that they can check oit out.]

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Hey

Try installing a Google Sitemap. That pretty much forces the searchengine to recognize your site.

On a second note: You have to remember that the different search engines rank a web site differently. Google can reward link manipulation (including internal linking). MSN and Yahoo mostly like on-site optimization.

And then again, I wouldn't worry too much about Yahoo, they're already a dead duck in the water; as MSN has already taken their search over. Be nice of microsoft to unveil the changes. I'm anticipating something like another Bing search bar.

Hey

Try installing a Google Sitemap. That pretty much forces the searchengine to recognize your site.

On a second note: You have to remember that the different search engines rank a web site differently. Google can reward link manipulation (including internal linking). MSN and Yahoo mostly like on-site optimization.

And then, Yahoo is a dead duck in the water as MSN has already taken them over but is stalling somewhat in proving that.

Hi canadafred
Yes I agree - a sitemap should work but this has been installed from the beginning, checked as ok by G and has had regular updates along the way. Google has indexed the site. G Analytics simply doesn't pick up any information about the site in the SERPs. (This isn't surprising since the site doesn't appear fir google though.) The site has also been verified ok by google.
It really is as though the site has either a massive penalty from google or there is a fundamental error problem with it.
Do you know if there is any restriction regarding the word 'psp'. I don't think so as other sites come up alright.
I really am stuck on this one.

what's the keyword you use to check in the SERP?

what's the keyword you use to check in the SERP?

Hi
Try 'top psp accessories'. No.1 in yahoo but nowhere in google.

Also if I try 'pspuser.co.u' with the k missing the site doesn't come up at all in google.

There are loads of pages indexed in google but the site doesn't come up in the serps.

Any ideas?

Hi
Try 'top psp accessories'. No.1 in yahoo but nowhere in google.
Also if I try 'pspuser.co.u' with the k missing the site doesn't come up at all in google.
There are loads of pages indexed in google but the site doesn't come up in the serps.
Any ideas?

It sounds like your site just isn't ranking well. Using the info above, I was able to find your site and from the looks of it... there isn't very much unique content. Try updating the content on your home page, as well as re-writing your product descriptions so that they are original and have something different to say (and hopefully better) than what everyone else (aka Amazon) is saying. Also consider your meta title/descrips. Are they being dynamically generated to be the same as everyone else's? Are they unnecessarily long?
Additionally, the content in the drop down at the bottom of each page ('More About <SiteName> and <Products>') shouldn't be the same on every single page. If you are going to have that there, at least make it unique for each page. It's a lot of work but it takes a lot of work to get better rankings. :icon_smile:

Hire a pro SEO practitioner to begin to rank....that'd work, eh?

Jim

Hi Jay11
Thanks for your comments. I'm aware of the unique content issue but it's one of the problems when running an affiliates site.
If you look at the site you can see there are other sites I have which are built in exactly the same format (eg wiiuser.co.xx) and some rank reasonably well.
If it was just a poor ranking issue, I should be able to find it with such specific searches as 'www.pspuser.co.u'.
I tried dynamic titles/descriptions but they had a terrible effect on all sites in google. Perhaps google has improved it's handling of dynamic title/desc now so I might try it again.
Thanks

Yea - i'm not saying you *should* employ dynamically generated title/descrip's. In fact, it is probably best to avoid this method and instead, tailor each one yourself. But if you have a ton of pages and you feel that this could help save some time - then by all means, go for it. Just make sure that they are unique and make sense from a grammatical standpoint (which isn't going to be easy).

With regards to ranking for your domain without the 'k,' i'm not sure if anyone but you is running this query - so I wouldn't worry about it too much. More importantly, you want your site to return for a query on the full domain - which it does.

And with this under your belt, you can now focus on enhancing the quality and content of your site.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.