I was just reading an interesting column that was discussing how to choose where to use certain keywords, whether it be in organic search efforts or PPC. While the authors present a hypothetical scenario of a company with mutiple products/business units fighting for ownership of certain keywords and how to approach the decision of who gets the keywords. I am curious to know if outside of large companies is there really an issue or can you easily use the same keywords for both organic search and PPC?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

I was just reading an interesting column that was discussing how to choose where to use certain keywords, whether it be in organic search efforts or PPC. While the authors present a hypothetical scenario of a company with mutiple products/business units fighting for ownership of certain keywords and how to approach the decision of who gets the keywords. I am curious to know if outside of large companies is there really an issue or can you easily use the same keywords for both organic search and PPC?

I'm not sure I follow. Are you talking about trademarked names as keywords? IE. Bidding on "Nike" keywords vs optimizing for "Nike" in search?

@MktgRob, Can you clarify, are you talking about conflict between trademark owner and reseller of the trademarked goods or services for the bidding?

Whenever you choose any keyword just look that it should be exactly the the theme of the website and there should be good searching on those keywords. Can't separate keywords for PPC or organic search.

To clarify, the column I read posed the scenario of two business groups within the same company selling marketing two separate product lines. One group uses PPC primarily while the other uses organic search. They are trying to determine who should get ownership of keywords that are applicable to both for use in their campaigns. The assumption is that there are two or three corporate keywords that could be used for either of the campaigns but they do not want to use them for both so that they are not competing against one another for search engine position or prominence. The author of the column then provided a solution of how to determine which business unit would get the best use out of these common keywords. While I could see this being an issue for large companies with many, many product lines (say a company that manufacturers cookware and has two competing non-stick lines. The common key-words might be 'non-stick' or 'Teflon') I was wondering if this was an issue with smaller companies with smaller product lines.

I apologize for the confusion but I found the column somewhat odd in its presentation and I was wondering if the issue really did exist outside of the large companies where I imagine it is probably more prevalent.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.