Hi everyone!

I'm not sure if this is the best forum to post this in because I'm asking for the opposite of SEO...

My client's web site has about 100 pages. He is an agent who books condo/hotel reservations. He is permitted to have the hotel name (e.g. Joe's Hotel) and the description of the rooms on his site, however he is NOT permitted to have his page come up in search results if someone searches for the words "Joe's Hotel". Each hotel is on a separate page and those pages are the only places where the hotel names are mentioned.

I have all the hotels in one directory and thought about using a robot.txt file to disallow the search engines from anything in that directory, however I've read that it doesn't always work.

I need a solution that is guaranteed to work. If I were to insert this code:
<meta name="robots" content="noindex, nofollow, noarchive"/>
on each of the hotel pages, will this make the pages invisible from the search engines? He has his other pages SEO'd, but not the individual hotel pages.

Thanks in advance!
JustFiona

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

You can't guarantee that robots won't index your site: such things as the robots.txt file, and the meta tags you mentioned, are simply conventions that well-behaved robots will obey. Certainly those methods will stop the reputable engines such as Google, Yahoo et al. Maybe other users have some better ideas?

Thanks Simon! It's the main search engines that I'm concerned about, so the meta tags on each page will probably be a good solution. I don't want to use robot.txt because there are some hotels that don't care about having my clients' pages listed, so I need to do it on a page-by-page basis.

I have one other issue though. I have a google map on each page. In the map, there is a pop up with information about the hotel and the pop up contains the name of the hotel. If I use the Robot meta tags on that page, will it still be indexable because of the google map?

Thanks!
Fiona

you can use robot.txt file which can let search engine know about the pages which need not to index and crawl.

robot.txt is the best option..however if you have few pages that you want to be not indexed or not followed then you can use <meta name=robots> tag to do it on per page basis

This is Testing.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.