Hi everyone
This is my first thread so bear with me.

I have recently launched a new website and would like some tips on how to get it well ranked with search engines.

It is a life insurance site and I have already been busy exchanging links with many different sites as I have been told this is good for our rankings?

However, many of the sites I have exchanged links with are not relevant to mine as I am finding it difficult to exchange links with other insurance related sites and I have just read on a different thread on this site that linking out to sites which aren't relevant to mine is bad for my rankings and that some search engines view this as spam?

Does anyone know if this is the case(please tell me it isn't) and any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Steve

Recommended Answers

All 19 Replies

Hi everyone

I have recently launched a new website and would like some tips on how to get it well ranked with search engines.

It is a life insurance site and I have already been busy exchanging links with many different sites as I have been told this is good for our rankings?

However, many of the sites I have exchanged links with are not relevant to mine as I am finding it difficult to exchange links with other insurance related sites and I have just read on a different thread on this site that linking out to sites which aren't relevant to mine is bad for my rankings and that some search engines view this as spam?

Does anyone know if this is the case(please tell me it isn't) and any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Steve

What you have been told is correct. If you end up trading links with what google considers a "link farm" (multiple unrelated links) you are going to get what those in the SEO community refer to as being "sandboxed", which is a penalty that will hurt your overall rankings. The first step to making sure you are getting worthwhile rankings is by analyzing the keyword you are going for. The more specific the keyword is to your site, the better you are going to do. I would imagine the term "life insurance" is going to be very competitive so it would take an enormous amount of work on your part to climb to the top. You might want to consider going after "<your home city> life insurance". Not as competitive but still very relavent. Beyond that you can visit blogs having to with your industry which include life planning forums and blogs. I would also recommend getting your social profiles in order, LinkedIn, MySpace, Twitter etc. as your profiles will point good links to your site. Then starting your own industry related blog and joining the various blogging communities. I know it seems like a lot of work (and it is truth be told) but it is the way to go if you want a quality organic search rank. The other two roads would be to go with a PPC (pay per click) campaign, or to hire an outside SEO firm to do it for you.

definitely right, link with relevant sites are better. it will consider spamming to search engines if you have many too irrelevant sites.

Hi everyone

Many thanks

Steve

If you want to achieve a high rank, start fixing or looking for good keyword that suited for your need. For example, if you are looking for "medical consultation" but you've noticed that "medical advice" is higher than one, then get the higher one and start using it. You can achieve a high rank if you get a good/ followed quality backlinks for site. Then don't stop studying, continue on studying the facts and info regarding SEO . I hope I help you with that.

Aside with what has already been pointed out, you may consider evaluating the differences between and the pros and cons of the various ways websites can be optimized for the search engines. I suggest you go to wikipedia for the most accepted definition of white hat seo (search engine optimisation), grey hat seo and black hat seo. What your link exchanging qualifies is under grey hat seo. Your SERP (search engine results pages) situation can be rectified rapidily and decisively with the implementation of a sound, evolving search engine marketing strategy.

Then read the search engine's own quality content guidelines and away you go to long lasting sutainable search engine results, even in the most competitive keyphrase environments.

Setting up link exchange is a slow process but it really brings great results in the long run as search engine ranking is also affected by the link popularity.

Now, I know it works... Thanks for this thread.

Hi Guys

Many thanks for your replies and help. Much appreciated.

Steve

great discussion... got to know many new things here... thanks to share

Steve,

You seem to have a good grasp of the situation and what to do an NOT do. Link building is essential, but it is just one of many techniques used under whitehat SEO. You should first ensure that you have quality content on your site. Optimize it with your niche related keywords. Make sure you also do the same for your Headline and your meta tags. This is al part of on-page SEO.

The linkbuilding you have been doing is part of Off-page SEO and it is one of others. Yes, your links should be placed in niche related sites. And, seeing how it is difficult getting other insurers (your competitors) to want to exchange links, you will have to look to other ways of increasing your links. You seem to have one of them right, forum posting and blog commenting. Find insurance related blogs, register as a user and participate in the discussions. Leave a quality message, DO NOT spam. If the article is about the pros and cons of a car insurance, add some valuable information. This will not only make it more likely to be accepted by the blog owner but will not be seen as spam and people who read your comment will recognize your knowledge.

Finally, write and submit QUALITY articles. The articles will have your keywords sporadically used in well structured and organized sentences which come together to form and informative article. I can recommend an expert SEO writer if you wish, just PM me.

I hope you combine everything everyone has told you here and implement it in a way that best suits your business needs. Good Luck.

Really asking to other webmasters for link exchange is one of the most recommended techniques, always that their sites are relative to yours.

be patient and to the point!

I suggest whenever you do submissions for any website it should be relevant with website theme. It looks awkward when any travel website link looks at the design website or any other website far from the travel theme.

No nothing like that.....Google will not treat it as spam but yes its looking very awkward when any irrelevant theme link looks there.

To avoid spamming you should use white Hat SEO. You should post comment only those site which are related to your keywords. You should write an article and post on the article sites. this is very useful for getting high PR rank.

Look at other websites that are ranking well and research what sites they are linking too. Then link to those same sites, this should help your rankings. But like all things it takes time to attain a decent ranking for a popular keyword.

Hi everyone

Steve

Link exchange is not an effective way for my part. You can only get links from those that are about your PR but not those that can deliver you more link juice.

I think one can try link wheel and article submission. They are helpful if you have good articles and can build quality web 2.0 properties.

Can you please tell me way step by step how can i increase my page rank?

Do not request link exchanges from sites that are unrelated to your website. Link exchange and other SEO techniques to get inbound links should still be important.

Link exchange is a great techique for long term resutls.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.