Hello

I noticed the following behaviour in google.
After a url structure change about 2-3 months ago my whole testsite went supplemental. I used 404 on the old pages, no room for 301.

I thought o heck :p. Anyway about a week ago i decided to use the google automated url removal tool http://services.google.com/urlconsole/controller?cmd=reload&lastcmd=login
The thing i noticed was: those pages I removed seemed to return from the supplemental index. Not all but most, and already after a few days.

My idea why this happened is: google still remembers the page behind the 404 and see's the new page as a duplicate. Does anybody have any thoughts on this subject?

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Is there any reason why you just didn't do a 301 redirect with .htaccess? That would easily solve this problem.

Is there any reason why you just didn't do a 301 redirect with .htaccess? That would easily solve this problem.

I was lazy :eek: Its just a test site and I try to make mistakes like not using the 301 to later on learn something. Just thought this thing interesting at least.

1:46 pm on Aug. 17, 2005 (utc 0)
I removed a domain in Feb, it will be 180 days in 2 days from now, but as of today it says "complete" in the removal section.
So, after the 180 days is up, how long until the site gets indexed again. Also, do you know if it is then subject to the sandbox again or if things have been "ticking in the background" and it should come back with full strength?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.