Hi,

I have a question that has sort of been brought up here many times, but all i could find is people asking it specifically about PR and I'd like an approach from a more 'general SEO point of view'...

Say I have a site about bowling and i want my home page to rank well for this word. I know that I should use "bowling" as an anchor text of internal links on pages throughout my site (linking to the home page). Now the question is, do I do that with EVERY occurrence of "Bowling" or just with the first one on each page? Will 5 links from page A to homepage be better than just one? Or maybe i Should do more than one, but not too many? like 2,3?

Also, same question in regards to links from other sites. If I write an article about bowling on another site, and i could use HTML freely, should I just use the first occurrence of 'bowling' to link to my site, some, or all of them?

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

It's things like this that will get you penalized by the search engines :(

If every page on your site has the word bowling somewhere inside an article hyperlinked to your homepage, it's going to look awfully like it's done just for the sake of SEO, and the search engines will know that and discredit it (or worse, penalize you).

Also, anchor text with your keywords was most commonly used from various external websites ... not pages within your own website.

If you write an article about bowling on another site, link to your site in your signature. Search engines - AND HUMANS - both can sniff out search engine spam and what's called keyword stuffing.

If you do the best thing for your visitors and for people who read your articles on other sites, you'll get a lot farther.

... If you do the best thing for your visitors and for people who read your articles on other sites, you'll get a lot farther.

... absolutely must agree. Design and code for the visitor and let the search engine determine the authenticity and importance of what you have created. Then, after you are content with the extra effort that went into pleasing the Internet visitor - create more good stuff and keep creating more and more good stuff!

Sounds like a plan.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.